Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 01:59 PM

Default 2/5 live, flop big draw

Full table of 9, live game $2/5 $500

Many players have $200-$400.

Seat 2 $390, decent, a little loose aggressive overall, but will limp into plenty of pots because he knows there will usually be followers
I'm in Seat 3 with $550
Seat 7 $800, is somewhat of a maniac, calls raises with 2 cocktail napkins if he decides he wants to play, raises trashy aces or face cards he likes, pairs and suited connectors, bluffs flops, sometimes with nothing, sometimes with good draws, sometimes all in with draws, but when a lot of money goes in he needs a hand to call. Overall tricky and a gambler.

Seat 2 limps, I limp with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], couple more limpers, seat 7 raises to $40, folds to seat 2 who calls, I make a loose call for me because of the potential payoff from the maniac (also, I'm tight, and my image with this crowd is even tighter than reality, so a few times per night I look for an opportunity to balance it.)

T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

pot about $140

Seat 7 bets $110, seat 2 raises all-in to $350.

Seat 7 could have almost anything he thinks is worth playing - 99, JJ, AT, KTs, JTs, 55, 44, AA, diamond draw, strange bluff, etc.

Seat 2 has to have either a set, AT, possibly 54s, or perhaps a very strong draw here (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] although both of those might have been folded preflop to the raise). JJ or better would have been raised preflop by him. A set seems most likely, outside chance of AT or 54 which he would only be playing because he thinks he can play that against the maniac.

Folding seems like a waste of equity, calling seems like weak sauce since I don't want to play a blank turn against the maniac if he calls now. Pushing seems like the logical play, even if I put seat 2 on a set. I might even get lucky and get a call from AA-JJ in seat 7 which would be a big equity boost, even if he holds a diamond. I'm screwed if he has 2 diamonds.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: 2/5 live, flop big draw

100bb? i was hoping it would be tough

stick it in stick it in stick it in
Old 10-20-2007, 02:37 PM

Get it all in here for your stack size, short of flopping a complete hand, it's not going to get better then this. I would be somewhat concerned about a higher flush draw, but it's not prevalent enough to warrant folding in this spot.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:39 PM

I hate preflop with 100BBs. As played it's about the easiest shove ever. Or you could just call....it doesn't really matter as long as you don't fold.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get it all in here for your stack size, short of flopping a complete hand, it's not going to get better then this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I thought it was close at the time. I figure about $30 equity here when I "stick it in" to PokerStove when I got home, which is a bit close to calculate in my head. And that assumes seat 7 folds - if you factor a diamond draw call there, this has to be close.

But I agree - preflop call is not looking good. I was looking more at the maniac's stack when I called, which in hindsight was bigger than I posted in the OP, which is irrelevant because I didn't have enough myself. I don't like the preflop call anymore, regardless of image concerns.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get it all in here for your stack size, short of flopping a complete hand, it's not going to get better then this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind, I see what you mean in terms of the actual flop. What I meant was that the bets and the math made it a pretty close call actually, depending on the hand ranges you assign.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:08 PM

call to induce an overcall/shove with your equity
Old 10-20-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call to induce an overcall/shove with your equity

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Do you think it's likely I can check through the turn?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:32 PM

just shove

and preflop is marginal
Old 10-20-2007, 10:59 PM

preflop is bad. on the flop, i guess you stick it in, but it's not a hugely +EV spot since you have no fold equity.