Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Deceptive Moneybookers PHISHERS - BEWARE!

Nearly fell for this phishing scam. CAREFUL. Here, I made some screenshots of the dif's between a legit and an illegitimate moneybookers email so ppl here know some things to look out for. Most disturbing is that I've never got a Moneybookers phishing scam email before, and this one just happened to come to the email address that i actually do have registered with a lot of poker sites and with moneybookers...coincidence? Doubt it -- likely that some email lists have fallen into the wrong hands. Careful out there!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Deceptive Moneybookers PHISHERS - BEWARE!

Nice post, Teddy. There were actually a couple of threads on this same scam earlier today or yesterday, but none with your great screenshots. I just got mine a couple of hours ago and was thinking of making a similar post.

Mine was identical...same person, same amount. The key identifiers for me were the "from"...it usually shows as the person you're getting from, NOT moneybookers itself; also, I've never had to click a link to get my money...these emails are usually just informing me it's in my account.

They're a VERY good copy of the normal MB emails, though. I'd agree there must be some poker mailing list tie-in...the address mine came to has ONLY been used at poker rooms, nowhere else.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 AM

Thanks a lot man.

What exactly happens when you click such a link?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 AM

Well, I think if it is a phishing attempt, it would take you to an official-looking copy of the MB site and attempt to get you to enter sensitive information. I don't think this would present a danger if you didn't enter anything. HOWEVER, I imagine there is also the much more dangerous possibility that it could download a virus/trojan/keylogger/other-nasty-program onto your computer. Therefore, my desire for computer safety overrides my curiosity, and I won't be clicking.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot man.

What exactly happens when you click such a link?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not click it, but if it's like other phishing scams, you'll get taken to a page that looks exactly like the moneybookers login page, where you'll be prompted for ur login name/password. Most sophisticated phishers even rig it so that it looks like a legitimate Moneybookers URL in the address bar...so often mousing over a hyperlink in the email will be ur only clue that something's fishy. (Well, also you'll presumably be unable to log in to the "fake" MB website because it's just a sham page to steal your login info...so if u try and log in, i'd guess you'd get some kind of "sorry, site down for maintenance" message...then within the next 24 hrs before u realize something is amiss, the scammers will have done something bad to your monies.)
Old 10-17-2007, 04:34 AM

mine was much more scarier: It said, you received 369 .58 $ from MONEYBOOKERS@ABSOLUTEPOKER.COM

WTF????

The thing that striked me first was that absolute does not allow cashing out this amount, but only full dollars. I then went on the page (i have freescoopshild, a firewall and antivir installed and did not allow scripting for the page) and firefox told me immediatly it was pishing, you could also see a fake adress if you mouse over the email link...
Old 10-17-2007, 04:43 AM

This is just a thinly veiled brag post by TeddyFBI that he is cashing money out of hollywoodpoker.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 07:50 AM

I got both, the moneybookers@absolutepoker.com and the verizon guy. And now the third e-mail supposedly from paypal.

"You've added an additional email address to your account.
If you don't agree with this email johnharris1@verizon.net and if you need assistance with your account,
click here and login.

To make sure you can use your PayPal account the next time you make a purchase,
all you need to do is confirm or not your email address.
If your email program has problems with hypertext links,
you may also confirm your email address by logging in to your account.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance,
log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PayPal Email ID PP007"
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 AM

only payment option i use is MB thanx for this.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 AM

I got the mail too, though i clicked their link, but my IE blocked it. I also got the mail from verzion on paypal.