Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think,
Sabbathia pitches 1,4,7
Carmona, 2,5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given Wedge's reluctance to pitch CC on short rest in the Yankees series, I'd very much doubt this.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think,
Sabbathia pitches 1,4,7
Carmona, 2,5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think CC has ever pitched on 3 days rest.

that said, game 7 could potentially turn out to be an "all hands" situation for both teams, with CC and/or Beckett getting 1 or 2 innings each.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 PM

not going too deep into this, but i think the sox do have a significant edge on offense, for the reasons stated above.

i give cleveland a slight edge in SP but i think it's very close. to me the big 'x factor' is how good carmona has looked lately vs. whether dice k shows up. if you figure the sox are a small, but definite favorite in game 1, a lot hinges on game 2 and whether cleveland can split at fenway. if you go by recent results i would say a carmona vs. dice-k matchup, even at fenway, slightly to moderately favors the indians. if i'm cleveland, i really, really don't want to come back to the jake down 2-0 with a journeyman like westbrook going against schilling, who has pitched well against the indians and looks as good as he has since 04 right now. getting a split as the road team is always huge, but in this case it seems even bigger.

sox defense seems a little better to me. outfield is close to a push or edge cleveland (lofton >>> manny, coco slightly > sizemore, don't know that much about gutierez but i am guessing drew is a little better, and has experience at fenway which may be important). infield seems to favor the sox, who are definitely better at the corners and no worse than a push in the middle (not that familiar with cabrera).

bullpens are both very good but borowski has to scare the bejeezus out of cleveland fans. i give the sox a small edge here. betancourt is arguably the best reliever out of the batch, although he and paps are very close.

i like the sox in 6.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the Red Sox have 3 great relievers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention Mike Mother [censored] Timlin
Old 10-09-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daisuke is starting game 2 and Schilling in game 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tito just officially announced that

it's Beckett, then Schilling, then Dice-K. if Wakefield is ok, then he goes game 4, if not Lester.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:54 PM

oh boy... Lester.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:58 PM

Matsuzaka over Westbrook in a game seven for the ages. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] 11-8.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM

btw i can see reasons for both teams to like the pitching lineup the sox have chosen here, but i think it's better overall for the sox. dice-k is the most likely of the three starters to get knocked out early so putting him between the other two makes sense. schilling is more likely to be battle-tested and ready for a road playoff game, small psychological edge there. dice-k is the highest variance matchup in my mind for cleveland, so you are basically gambling that he outpitches or matches carmona (or that the sox can get to him), instead of going with schilling who you expect to at least hang close to carmona for sure. then in game 3 you have a more steady guy who is likely to give you a significant edge over cleveland's game 3 starter, as opposed to dice who is, again, high variance and could easily be no better than westbrook.

plus if you believe 'momentum is only as good as tomorrow's starting pitcher,' the sox have more of a chance to break up any momentum cleveland has, whereas cleveland is much more likely to go without a quality start in their home park until as late as game 6. if i am tito i am very wary of letting this young cleveland team get on a roll, i think the pitching matchups he has chosen reflect that.

EDIT: nevermind, tito switched it up on me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] guess they are really going for the jugular. i have to say i liked the other way better.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:03 PM

Indians +157 on Pinnacle. Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 PM

Pinny baseball lines are retarded. They don't take US action so there is very little sharp money there.