Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Cold calling with AJs and KQs

[ QUOTE ]
I mean in my general experience, which is mostly at 4/8 and 6/12 live, I will reraise AJs and QKs almost 100% of the time after an UTG raiser. And maybe that's a mistake on my part, I just can't stop undervaluing live player's hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a mistake.

The raise isn't really for value, since you shut out callers behind (who you want if you hit a strong draw) and you will be dominated enough of the time to show an immediate loss in a heads-up competition.

If the raiser is loose and terrible raising to isolate isn't that bad a plan, but as a standard play it isn't great.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:22 PM

I think a call is good because at your typical small stakes table you will get overcalls alot plus probably get the blinds involved too, any extra money helps to pad the pot those times we are dominated while 3 betting just gets us punnished even more when we end up HU
Old 10-04-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a wacky assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

But these are the "tight game" standards. Of course, he defines that as 3-5 players when really tables are more like 3 players on average, but still.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you are an online player. I think these assumption probably are wacky for most online games, but not for a lot of B&M games.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 PM

Chart, pg. 80 SSHE - "For Tight Games" 3-5 players
Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 PM

If AJs and KQs are good multiway then why wouldn't we just call rather than r/r and squelch action behind?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If AJs and KQs are good multiway then why wouldn't we just call rather than r/r and squelch action behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:54 PM

In the 6/12 LHE game at Canterbury Park I would call with both of these suited because the game is typically loose/passive and you will likely have several more callers behind you.
You can win big pots when you make your straights and flushes!

I would only raise sometimes in a tight game if the initial raiser is very loose and raises a lot.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:57 PM

He doesn't advocate this on his DVD but I believe his DVD is directed towards online games which are usually tighter and tougher than the live and early internet play that SSHE was written for. In many live games, you can profitably CC with AJs,KQs because you can expect several others to follow.

Ed Miller's 4 DVd set, "Expert Hold' Em", has a DVD, "Advanced Pre-Flop Concepts". In this DVD there is a section called, "The Re-raise or Fold Rule".

"If a player raises pf, your best bet, almost always, is to re-raise or fold."

IIRC, he is talking about a tight EP raiser with no other callers and when he talks about raising, it is with a hand such as AK or TT+, I think. I definitely remember that AQ is not good enough.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a call is good because at your typical small stakes table you will get overcalls alot plus probably get the blinds involved too, any extra money helps to pad the pot those times we are dominated while 3 betting just gets us punnished even more when we end up HU

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about live games? Or micro stakes? I don't see this happening on 1/2 online games much.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even suggesting that a r/r is a good option. I'm saying it's a clear fold in most small stakes online games.