Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM

Default NL CASH: article by me in 2+2 magazine

I welcome feedback about my article in this month's 2+2 magazine. I hope those of you who think I write entirely in lowercase and without punctuation will be pleasantly surprised.

There's a discussion thread going on the magazine forum.

--Fred Bush
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: NL CASH: article by me in 2+2 magazine

I think it's a great article and very well written, however I don't completely agree with #5 as small or minbets throw opponents off and the opponent will raise to find out where he's at, then the opponent will 3 bet. It's a different tactic used to get your opponent to raise (if he's aggro)
Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 PM

Its very basic, but yeah. As you say; not much has been written, so I guess its useful to some.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a great article and very well written, however I don't completely agree with #5 as small or minbets throw opponents off and the opponent will raise to find out where he's at, then the opponent will 3 bet. It's a different tactic used to get your opponent to raise (if he's aggro)

[/ QUOTE ]

In an unraised pot there's certainly a place for a minbet; that represents a little over 50% of the pot so it's a reasonable size for a bet.

In a raised pot -- your play is interesting, but it's not really any different from a checkraise, is it? Do you find that people fold to minbets in raised pots much before the river?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I was gonna let someone else tear you apart but since no one did... I have never once used a min bet except in a limped pot playing HU cash.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM

good article. i'm in the "i don't limp in the sb" camp so i liked that part of your aticle. i'm surprised how many winning playrs in HU SNGs limp the vast majority of the time in the sb and it confuses me and makes me think i'm doing something wrong by never limping. so this article makes me feel better.

edit: didn't realize at first that this is a cash game article.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good article. i'm in the "i don't limp in the sb" camp so i liked that part of your aticle. i'm surprised how many winning playrs in HU SNGs limp the vast majority of the time in the sb and it confuses me and makes me think i'm doing something wrong by never limping. so this article makes me feel better.

edit: didn't realize at first that this is a cash game article.

[/ QUOTE ]
Limping a lot in HU SNG is very viable.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:50 PM

well i'm not gonna start the whole debate about that again but i don't agree.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In an unraised pot there's certainly a place for a minbet; that represents a little over 50% of the pot so it's a reasonable size for a bet.

In a raised pot -- your play is interesting, but it's not really any different from a checkraise, is it? Do you find that people fold to minbets in raised pots much before the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use minbets (1/2 psb) in limped pots, I don't really find that it has much value anywhere else.

The only use a minbet really has in raised pots is as an expensive check or as a psychological advantage. You may face an opponent who is prone to betting when you check but does not like to come over the top, so the min bet may confuse him a little bit although it is not much different than a check. As far as an expensive check goes, that is pretty much it. Against a smart player who will consider this to be nothing more than a bluffy check, he will come over this often. In this case, it can be used as a pot builder because he will probably end up putting more in with his raise than he would normally bet if you checked. However, if you are not doing this with your weaker hands as well a smart player should recognize that your min bet often represents stronger hands. If done correctly I think it is =EV to what we would consider standard, but in my experience almost all villains who do this are clueless and very -EV.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well i'm not gonna start the whole debate about that again but i don't agree.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a game theory sense you argument may have some validity but limping is a very viable strategy in exploiting a villains leaks play ESPECIALLY the way the current games play. I will say this with 100% certainty that its correct, if you never limp in a HU SNG you are not winning the maximum.