Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Ron Zook >>>> Charlie Weis

though he drives me crazy, Zook does seem more adept at the college game than Weis

what's overlooked about Zook is the great job he did in developing mediocre talent on the defensive side of the ball

the improvement from the 2005 Illini defense to the 2006 Illini defense blew me away....the only recruit that helped was Vontae Davis (who [censored] rocks!)

still, one CB is not the difference between
2005 39.5 ppg 23 first downs 5.5 ypc 67% passing for opponents
2006 26.8 ppg 17 first downs 3.3 ypc 55.5% passing for opponents

the Zooker coached the defense up HUGE
I have yet to see Weis do anything with his defense

I'm not willing to say Zook is better yet
He still boggles my mind sometimes
I think he was pretty lucky this week even with bringing in McGee when he did and kicking that 47 yd FG into the wind on 4th and 2
However, he made great adjustments to the defense after Morelli absolutely torched the Illini D for 40 minutes

Oh yeah.....haha at all the ND hate for Benn choosing Illinois saying he'd never be a winner and never get the spotlight. Benn seems like a pretty smart guy right about now. Glad he's finally healthy enough to return kicks!

BTW---Illinois had a boatload of recruits at the game....they sat in the lower east corner of the north endzone

they were waiting at field level when the game ended and got to see the players run up to the bleachers and greet the band and students along with a couple players play instruments with the band--- that's a recruiting visit!!!!

FYI....you know how Zook filled in the O-line?..He converted one DE (Fulton) and got a transfer (Millington) ...that's how you add upperclassmen to the trenches

I think Zook gets the college game alot more than Weis at this point. Weis seems to make better on field decisions, but there is more to the college game than that.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 AM

Clarknasty,
Hopefully you get to enjoy watching the Badgers go down with some beverages, gumbo, and crawdads!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy this week man...I'm jealous
Old 10-01-2007, 03:45 AM

Has Zook been taught how to say Illinois yet?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nothing delusional about ND's record improving from 5-7 and 6-6 (Willingham) to 9-3 and 10-3 (Weis).

[/ QUOTE ]

So Weiss gets a pass because his recruits are still young. Yet it's Willingham's fault they went 5-7 then 6-6 with the same aged recruits?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that Ty's recruiting classes were ranked low. See, if Ty would have had higher recruiting classes he could have started out 0-8 in his first three years too and the Domers would have been patient, because if there's one thing we know it is that race had (absolutely) nothing to do with it.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 AM

As a Florida alum, I will say this. Whoever followed Spurrier @ UF was set-up to fail. Zook had no chance from day 1.

D
Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Florida alum, I will say this. Whoever followed Spurrier @ UF was set-up to fail. Zook had no chance from day 1.

D

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting observation...could you provide some insight to the state of the program when SS left (i.e. previous records, incoming recruits, etc)

Also, what was the consensus view of Zook from Florida fans while he was there?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

D

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting observation...could you provide some insight to the state of the program when SS left (i.e. previous records, incoming recruits, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

BigDaddy,

Not an alum, but a lifelong fan. Spurrier was pretty much worshipped in Florida. Dont remember the exact numbers, but he won a NC during his tenure and numerous SEC championships. As for Zook, UF fans pretty much hated him. Good recruiter, not so good as a head coach. But that poster was correct, anyone following Spurrier was not set up for success because the bar was set so high during his time at Florida.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nothing delusional about ND's record improving from 5-7 and 6-6 (Willingham) to 9-3 and 10-3 (Weis).

[/ QUOTE ]

So Weiss gets a pass because his recruits are still young. Yet it's Willingham's fault they went 5-7 then 6-6 with the same aged recruits?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that Ty's recruiting classes were ranked low. See, if Ty would have had higher recruiting classes he could have started out 0-8 in his first three years too and the Domers would have been patient, because if there's one thing we know it is that race had (absolutely) nothing to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to share any of the highly dubious arguments on Tyrone Willingham's firing being on account of race and I'll be happy to dismantle each one by one.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a fan, but if memory stands correctly fireronzook.com was up before his first practice with the team.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

D

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BigDaddy,

Not an alum, but a lifelong fan. Spurrier was pretty much worshipped in Florida. Dont remember the exact numbers, but he won a NC during his tenure and numerous SEC championships. As for Zook, UF fans pretty much hated him. Good recruiter, not so good as a head coach. But that poster was correct, anyone following Spurrier was not set up for success because the bar was set so high during his time at Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris,

To RZ's credit, he set up Urban Meyer with player talent that could rival anyone in the nation. It's the reason when Meyer was comparing the ND/UF jobs, his dad famously advised that "he could win sooner in Flordia" With a national championship in his 2nd year, the results obviously speak for themselves. Though I think Weis is the better long term hire for ND (he's an ND guy and isn't going anywhere whereas UM may have used the job as a stepping stone) it's impossible not to wonder how UM would be doing at this stage of the game at ND.

BTW Navy has to be psyched that this could be the year Notre Dame's 38 (?) game win streak may end...given this season's debacle and my service academy affiliation I may end up cheering for you guys.