Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Just switched major to History, now what?

I was a business major, but I was not interested in any of the stuff I learned during my first year (my dad wanted me to do it, and he's paying for it, but I talked to him and he basically said "do what you want", so I just switched my major to History and Politics, two subjects I've always loved and been interested in.

But, what's next? What are my options as a history major? Teaching? I'm slightly interested in this, but I mean, not too much.

Law? I'm interested in this, but whats my play here? I was reading through that other thread and from what I remember, it said don't bother going to law school unless you get in one of the top 15 in the country (unless I misunderstood). My GPA is crap right now, only around 2.5, so I'm not sure what my graduate options would be.

Anyways, just looking for some input on what can be done with a History major, and some more details about law school.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Just switched major to History, now what?

Why would you switch your major to history if you are unsure of what you want to do with the degree.

Probably would have been better to thin about what you want to do with your life, and then select a major based on that.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 PM

I'm a history major, dunno what the hell I'm going to do though.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:32 PM

Larry David was a history major. Just write two massively successful tv shows and you'll be fine.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a history major, dunno what the hell I'm going to do though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, same here. My adviser has told me that I'll have a lot of options when I leave school. Pretty much a history degree tells employers that I am literate and you can train me to work for your company and not have to worry about me being illiterate.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 PM

If you are only slightly interested in teaching, don't do it! I'll bet your campus has a career planning center. Go and check it out. Look around for internships etc. And, if you want to go to law school, work on jacking up your GPA or you'll end up like Lionel Hutz.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a business major, but I was not interested in any of the stuff I learned during my first year (my dad wanted me to do it, and he's paying for it, but I talked to him and he basically said "do what you want", so I just switched my major to History and Politics, two subjects I've always loved and been interested in.

But, what's next? What are my options as a history major? Teaching? I'm slightly interested in this, but I mean, not too much.

Law? I'm interested in this, but whats my play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

First figure out if you actually want to practice law. If yes, switch majors again. Applications from history/politics majors saturate the admissions offices. You don't stand out. After LSAT/GPA, standing out is the most important thing (at least that you can control). Major in something crazy like bio-chemical engineering with a minor is arabic mythology and electronic music. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, and pwn the LSAT.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading through that other thread and from what I remember, it said don't bother going to law school unless you get in one of the top 15 in the country

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-26-2007, 02:48 AM

switch again
Old 09-26-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you switch your major to history if you are unsure of what you want to do with the degree.

Probably would have been better to thin about what you want to do with your life, and then select a major based on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my deal is, I don't WANT to actually do anything - I have no aspirations. So I switched because I figured, what I really don't want is to be here for four years studying stuff I have no interest in. So I switched to a subject I love, and hope I'll find a career in it.