Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 09-23-2007, 02:50 PM

Default WRT Halo 3: Got a call from Gamestop

So I "reserved" a copy of the game, gave them some amount of money, and they called me last night or two nights ago and said I had to be there Monday night at 9:00pm, and wait for the 12:00am midnight release to be sure I get a copy of the game.

I don't understand, maybe I don't know the word well enough, but doesn't "reserve" mean they hold it for me (and anyone else who reserved a copy) until I come in and pay the rest that I owe? Isn't that generally how things work, isn't that the POINT of reserving something?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: WRT Halo 3: Got a call from Gamestop

Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

Rental Car Agent: We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.

Rental Car Agent: I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:55 PM

Too slow lol. Gamestop is the devil btw.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:37 PM

I don't get the point of reserving a copy, just wander down to Walmart at midnight and you'll get it, it's not like Microsoft would let there be a shortage of the game so that Gamestop can can have a special 3 hour release "party".
Old 09-23-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

Rental Car Agent: We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.

Rental Car Agent: I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol Sooga, you have no idea how many times I've thought about that scene.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the point of reserving a copy, just wander down to Walmart at midnight and you'll get it, it's not like Microsoft would let there be a shortage of the game so that Gamestop can can have a special 3 hour release "party".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just Gamestop constantly saying "would you like to pay the first five bucks of x game now so we can hold your money and collect interest, just because?" and millions of people saying "well I like x game, so ok." Oh and they're considering raising it to 10 bucks.

Software is pretty much never sold out to anyone who has a car.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:51 PM

I reserved through Gamestop and got the same call. I called in to clarify. They want you to come in before 9 to pay it off, since I had already done so they told me I don't need to come in before 9 to do that, but I may want to get in line early since it may be long. I asked if my copy would for sure be there that night not matter what time I show up to get in line and they said 'Yes, it will definately be here, and if you can't make it for the midnight sale we guarantee it will be here for at least 48 hours for you to pick up, after that we reserve the right to start selling copies not yet picked up and you may have to wait for another shipment if you go past 48 hours.' So yeah, they'll hold on to it, but not for as long as you may be expecting them to before you go in and pay it off and pick it up.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:58 PM

I'd say don't deal with gamestop, go to walmart or something. There will be tons of copies basically everywhere.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 PM

rjoe - so I can go there right now and pay it off, and not worry about waiting in line tommorrow night? That sounds good.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what they told me on the phone. He said they were thinking of maybe doing 2 lines or something, where if you paid it all off you just walk up to the counter, say your name, they look it up, hand it to you, and you walk out. That might be your best bet as it would be way faster than waiting in a line with a bunch of people that have to pay still.