Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Deathproof

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] GA and agree with everything evil twin said

For me, the movie just clicked; I could see what Tarantino wanted me to see, feel what he was going for, etc. It's hard to explain, and I don't think it's possible to convince anyone who didn't see it that way.

Oh, and Kurt's performance is A++, ldo.

edit: let's see: the first time watching this I was totally enthralled by all the little hints and changes in their meaning

there's the moment where he drops the pictures and one lands face up. in a normal movie of this kind, that would mean she would be the one who would survive and end up defeating him. but is it there for that, or for quentin to level us, or something more complex?

there's the moment where you think you're watching a dialog scene in the diner, then you notice Kurt watching the girls from the background, and it's never given attention by the camera

I'll add more later
Old 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM

more: 'cause, you know

So for me a big part of the experience was the meta stuff, that relied on the rules of the genre and of the film itself.

In the first half Ferlito's pic lands face up, and it's kinda set up that she would be the survivor of the group. But no, she gets destroyed, and she turns out to be not special at all.

So then in the second half there's all that talk of Zoe being indestructible, plus the audience's knowledge of who she is, plus the possible meaning with the title of the film, that would seem to imply something. But do we go by that or by the 'rules' established earlier, which say she'll take the loss?

blah blah blah, I guess what I'm saying is that there's a lot behind the plot, a lot to think about, and though I only saw it once, I can imagine that it will get even more interesting on subsequent viewings
Old 09-17-2007, 05:56 PM

I downloaded it and ended up skipping to the final 15 minutes. Attention span ftl!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I saw this movie, my friends and I were laughing most of the time. It was really that bad. How could anyone like this???

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so a movie makes you laugh for most of two hours, and you think it was bad?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I saw this movie, my friends and I were laughing most of the time. It was really that bad. How could anyone like this???

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so a movie makes you laugh for most of two hours, and you think it was bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he means they were laughing at how bad it was, but in a way this is Tarantino's desired effect from my understanding.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:43 PM

I can't believe that stupid, fat moron Weinstein is releasing these in separate packages and not one long double feature like the theatrical release. So utterly stupid. F!!%E%^ck you Weinstein.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe that stupid, fat moron Weinstein is releasing these in separate packages and not one long double feature like the theatrical release. So utterly stupid. F!!%E%^ck you Weinstein.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the decision to realease them as 'Grindhouse' at the cinema sucked balls for a whole bunch of reasons.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the decision to realease them as 'Grindhouse' at the cinema sucked balls for a whole bunch of reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well it certainly hurt revenues. 3+hr length meant that the theater could fit fewer showtimes in a night, and a lot of moviegoers were turned away by the length or their confusion at the double-feature concept. BUT seeing the films, plus the fake trailers, and the whole presentation, was a theater experience that I'll never forget, and a success artistically, imo.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 PM

I agree it is a better artistic success showing it as a double feature, but not one all that many people will appreciate. To the guy ragging on Weinstein - hes a [censored] producer dude. It's his [censored] job to make sure this film is as successful as possible. This film is going to be nowhere near as successful marketed as a double feature. Don't hate the playa hate the game.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This film is going to be nowhere near as successful marketed as a double feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think it would sell a hell of a lot more copies as a reasonably priced double feature as shown in the theatres.