Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: ZMA

Who cares about studies. I'm sure you can find them if you try...

But we know that a diet high in zinc/magnesium increases REM sleep, and we know that increased REM sleep increases testosterone release. That's how it works, and that's why bodybuilders are supposed to not skimp on sleep and get a minimum of 8 hrs a night. If you want to get the same effects, like I said before, just eat a crapload of foods with zinc/magnesium 30-60 minutes before you go to bed.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't figure out the ZMA love here. Does anyone know of a study (that is independent of any affiliations with Victor Conte or anyone else that stands to make a profit from ZMA hype) that shows ZMA actually works? I'm VERY skeptical that this supplement is anything but completely worthless.

The only studies I have seen are ones co-authored by Victor Conte (the developer of ZMA!) and this study, which disagrees with Conte's findings . Although to be fair, that study I just cited only tested ZMA on male, trained athletes, and doesn't comment on how ZMA could affect people with little or no training.

I'm willing to listen to arguments, as I'd love to add another supplement to my regime that I actually think works, but as of this moment, I just don't buy the hype.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:54 PM

I gave this stuff another try Friday night. I woke up my usual bunch of times during the night, only this time I was all worked up about some stressful dream each time. This never happens to me if I don't take ZMA. I wake up remembering my dream like once every 3 months or so. Not only Friday, but it happened last night as well and I didn't even take any.

Since I've started working out and exercising a lot more, I've been sleeping deeper anyway.

Selling one mostly full bottle of ZMA to the highest bidder.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 AM

ZMA is garbage.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 AM

$600 banana suit come on
Old 09-17-2007, 04:23 AM

I would say that if you start having [censored] up dreams that stress you out because you take ZMA you might have some other problems to deal with that you should see a shrink for. ZMA is just zinc and magnesium, nothing fancy. Same stuff is in a multivitamin, but 2x as much zinc (200% instead of 100%) and a full 100%dv of magnesium instead of the 13% in a multivitamin. Also some vitamin B12 thrown in the mix. THAT'S IT. This isn't some crazy drug people... eat some spinach or pop some multivits and you get the exact same stuff.

/rant
Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 AM

procast,

I'm gonna assume that you don't have very intense dreams while on ZMA. It be for real.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 AM

procast, the first time I took it I had no idea about the dream thing, just that it was supposed to make you sleep deeper. So you can't even say I had those dreams because the idea was planted there. And the dreams aren't like butchering babies or anything. They're just stuff like some really stressful office deadline, or chick problem.

LOL at seeing a shrink just because of that. Maybe I should just check myself into a mental hospital. I think I might be a danger to society.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:50 PM

I didn't say that I didn't have epic, movie-like dreams, but they're not STRESSFUL or anything. I wake up and say damn, that was a [censored] up dream but I sure feel well rested! Heh. I figure those intense dreams are my mind just processing a bunch of stuff that was building up. I was just suggesting if the content of your dreams actually disturbs you, then you have other problems, like being too stressed out about work in the first place maybe.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:05 PM

I AM NOT TOO STRESSED OUT ABOUT WORK. GO [censored] YOURSELF!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 07:50 PM

lol