Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Yes, another router issue (but please help)

OS = XP w/ SP2
Old router = Wired D-Link DI-604 (Has worked almost flawlessly)
New router = Wireless D-Link WBR-1310

When I first tried to install the new router, I followed the 'easy' installation guide on the CD. After having a connection for all of 5 minutes, it suddenly died and ever since I've being going crazy trying to get it to work again.

When I attempt to follow the installation guide once again, it will get to the part where it says 'Restarting the network' (after successfully acquiring a network connection) only to say 'Invalid IP address.' It asks me to physically reset the router (which I've done countless times). It doesn't get me anywhere. Also, I set my firewall to 'allow all' and that didn't help.

Do I need to install the router manually? If so, then could I get steps or a link on how to. I've tried using Google, and tech support, so I'm at the end of the line.

Help greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Yes, another router issue (but please help)

For one, make sure when you reset the router, that it's a FULL reset. You often have to hold the button in for longer or something. Make sure if you changed the password, that the password has reset to the factory version.

I'm not sure what all the CD had you do, but if you have the old router set up, it should be pretty easy to get the new one. When you're plugged into the new router, do you get an IP address? Check the FAQ for better ways to describe "doesn't work". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM

you really dont "install" a router. You just turn it on, and then log on to it and change the setting to what you like.

The IP should be

http://192.168.0.1

does it work through the lan cable?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM

buy a new router. i have the same one and its a piece of [censored].

read the reviews on newegg

[ QUOTE ]

Pros: It looks cool, and is cheap.
Cons: Only buy if you need experience fixing wireless problems. You will get a headache from the hours you waste, repeatedly fixing the same problems over and over. It would not even make a good paper weight. My suggestion if you own this thing or mistakenly buy as I did, is to use this for target practice or beat it to pieces for anger management.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...p;Tpk=wbr-1310
Old 09-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Ok, when my old wired D-Link is working:

When my new wireless D-Link isn't working, the images above are the exact same. When I go to ping my router, it works. However, when I go to ping an IP (I typed 'ping 4.2.2.1 -t'), it says 'Request timed out.'

I've tried resetting the router again and resetting my computer.

I also set the IP address and DNS server to be 'obtained automatically,' but all that did was set the connection to 'Limited or no connectivity' in my Network settings.

Help appreciated.

edit: BTW, my old router also works when I have the IP and DNS set to obtain automatically, FWIW
Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM

I tried a little different way of resetting the router (whereas before I would just hold the button at the back, I now tried waiting for the lights to go off and then unplug the unit). Amazingly, I was able to now access 192.168.0.1.

I was even able to access google.com in my browser. Unfortunately, not 2 minutes later the connection died and now I'm having trouble resetting it again.

Maybe bluey's right, it's just a paperweight. To bad I can't return it.