Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: What do you want to do when you grow up?

[ QUOTE ]
At this point there is absolutely no profession that appeals to me for when I grow up

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i feel pretty much the same. and i'm in a position where because of poker giving me such a headstart and the fact i am being smart with the money, i will probably never have to do anything, and it's kind of devastating because poker is very unfulfilling and i know that even the lifestyle it will afford me won't fill the void that comes from not contributing anything meaningful intellectually to the world. i know i need to do something about it but i have no real idea what i would be satisfied doing (outside of really crazy [censored] like philosophy professor, CIA agent, political analyst, film reviewer etc, which are all a bit idealistic and would take a singleminded plan to work towards)
Old 09-02-2007, 03:18 AM

1) What did you want to do when you grew up?
From ages 5-13, an NFL Player
13-19, an entertainer
19-Present, not sure

2) Did you actively decide upon a career?
No

3) If so, is that the career you now have?
n/a

4) Do you have some "dream job" that you'd love to pursue but have not?

Sort of. There are a lot of things that I think I'd really like to do, but I don't think that they'd be as appealing once I try them. Grass is always greener type thing.

I know a lot of people think it's way cooler to play poker professionally than it actually is, so I'd imagine it's that way with most things.

5) How old is too old to start a career from scratch?

Depends on the career and your situation. You can't start training to be in the NBA at 50, and you can't start going to Med school at 35 if you're broke and have a family to support. (Well, it'd be hard)

If you are comfortable enough financially, I think you should take advantage and pursue your dream career. That is, assuming that the pursuit itself will be fun and exciting for you.

6) Why won't Jessica Alba return my calls?

She prefers talking on AIM
Old 09-02-2007, 03:33 AM

"What did you want to do when you grew up?"

retire
Old 09-02-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not planning your adult life out before you begin it is like not planning for a long term vacation. You will end up just wasting tons of time doing absolutely nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend reading this thread. I guess what you say is true for some people, but certainly not for everyone. For some people, planning everything will make them happy, for other people, planning nothing will make them happy.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:47 PM

I've always been just drifting along and letting things happen, but that only gets you so far. A lot of things worth doing take advance planning and dedicated work to get to.

When I was 20, I saw limitless opportunities before me. As I get older, I see too many doors slamming behind me. There are just some things that are much harder for me now than they'd have been 20 years ago, and some that will be impossible if I wait much longer.

Take, for instance, the guy who wants to be a college professor. That requires both a Bachelor's with good enough grades to go to grad school and a grad degree (usually a PhD). That's a lot of work, and a lot of time. Does anyone want to be competing for entry level college teaching gigs at 45? At 60?

I'm just really flailing around for what to do with my life right now (empty nest syndrome). I suddenly have freedom I didn't have when I was younger (had a kid very early in life), but have discovered that many possibilities have already been closed off.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you dont know my parents and how i grew up man. people have really really high expectations of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this matter? [censored] em. Do what you want. Unless trying to fulfill those expectations is what will make you happy, of course.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not planning your adult life out before you begin it is like not planning for a long term vacation. You will end up just wasting tons of time doing absolutely nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend reading this thread. I guess what you say is true for some people, but certainly not for everyone. For some people, planning everything will make them happy, for other people, planning nothing will make them happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Planning lives works for most.

Adsman is an exception to the rule. He didn't plan anything yet still went out and did things he enjoyed.

Most people don't plan anything at all and end up doing nothing they enjoy in life and wake up years later wondering where the hell all the time went.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:03 PM

i want to be a journalist/writer. most people think that i'm fkin crazy to want do to that, but it's what i want to do for a living im not gonna worry about the income for my 20s. and plus, a huge emphasis of all these self-help financial books is that it doesnt necessarily matter what your income from your professsion is but rather how well you invest and manage the money you have.

if I'm nearing my late 20s and I realize that it's just not gonna work financially, then i'll probably go to law school. but until then i plan on living the dream, writing for a big newspaper and getting a beat on a bigtime sports team (the top guys make at least 100k doing that, and I'm pretty sure I can get up there).

the profession is so damn flexible in terms of time (which is worth a lot of money to me in itself), and there will always be money to made in any field as long as you're good at what you do. at this point in my life, i just dont think theres a possible way that i can sit in an office, working a 9-5. i just spent only two months doing it this summer and i almost went crazy. journalism and writing provides me with an escape from that.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Planning lives works for most.

Adsman is an exception to the rule. He didn't plan anything yet still went out and did things he enjoyed.

Most people don't plan anything at all and end up doing nothing they enjoy in life and wake up years later wondering where the hell all the time went.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely contrary to my experience. Maybe your acquaintances are pre-selected to be over-planning nits. There isn't even a point to planning too many years in advance in most business. All the information you have to make any decisions now will have completely changed.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:43 PM

If you don't plan out the ways to get where you want to be.... How will you ever get there?