Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Razz -- worst hand wins on Absolute

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A low hand must be five un-paired cards (with the highest card no greater than an 8). According to hand # 744577709, your best low hand was (9,7,3,A,A) however your opponent had(7,5,4,4,2) therefore he won the hand.

For further information, please visit the following link:

http://www.absolutepoker.com/getting.../razzRules.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

Inasmuch as I am at work and can't acces Absolute Poker's web site, do the rules for Razz at AP actually state this regarding "un-paired cards" and "highest card no greater than an 8?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Their website does in fact say this, except in reference to stud/8 not razz! The whole situation getting screwier and screwier...
Old 08-29-2007, 02:25 PM

Okay, so I'm SGspecial's friend who suffered this bad beat of poor programming and cluelessness. I've received a followup email from support, and if you've enjoyed the thread so far, you're in for a treat!

-----
Thank you for contacting us.

We have reviewed your email, please note that you didn’t win the hand because your lowest high card was a 9 and the lowest high card of your opponent was a 7, please remember that objective in razz is to make your best five card low hand, using any combination of the seven cards you are dealt. Aces are always low, and straights and flushes have no effect on the low value of a hand. The lowest possible hand is A2345.
For more information about Razz Rules, please visit our website at

http://www.absolutepoker.com/getting.../razzRules.asp

Thanks for playing at Absolute Poker! If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. We are here for you!

Sincerely,

Alex
Team Absolute ~ Customer Support
"To Continue to be the Best and Most Trusted"
Support@AbsolutePoker.Com
-----

My reply was to ask if in addition to not counting straights and flushes, they are now also not counting pairs. If so, their website most definitely does not say so! The rules page is simple but accurate. It says best 5 card low hand wins razz, and no straight or flushes count.

I believe the original problem was in programming (my guess is it counted AA as high; I further postulate if I had 22 I would have won). The current problem is in lack of knowledge of the support people.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 PM

The funny thing, again, is that you could have made a 5 card hand with 33 and it still would have beat villians hand! I guess you could ask about that if they can't fathom how a pair of aces could be low.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:07 PM

You're right. Then again, at this point I don't expect the support people to follow a logical argument. I truly hope they have poker experts available for these types of questions. Does Absolute sponsor anyone?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right. Then again, at this point I don't expect the support people to follow a logical argument. I truly hope they have poker experts available for these types of questions. Does Absolute sponsor anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just the chick in the skimpy bikini IIRC. I'd suggest asking to talk to a manager, but somehow I doubt they know anything about razz either.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Would it be useful to send this whole thing to Bluff or Card Player? Sounds like news to me, a poker site that doesn't know the rules of the games it spreads. Nothing worse for a site than bad publicity.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...please remember that objective in razz is to make your best five card low hand, using any combination of the seven cards you are dealt. Aces are always low ,...

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! Reply back to this moron that he just proved you won by the statement quoted above. That is, your low hand was a pair of Aces and your opponent's low hand was a pair of 4s. Aces are lower than 4s!

Hoist the idiot on his own pitard!

If this doesn't work, I agree with Plan B...take it to the press and let Cardplayer, Bluff, etc. publicize not only the faulty Razz game programming but the ineptness of the AP staff.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be useful to send this whole thing to Bluff or Card Player? Sounds like news to me, a poker site that doesn't know the rules of the games it spreads. Nothing worse for a site than bad publicity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, no. They don't do reporting. These mags aren't about that and they don't pretend to be. They are about getting money from those that advertise in their publications and spewing the company line. Very specifically bad publicity is not what they do.

Patty
Old 08-29-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...please remember that objective in razz is to make your best five card low hand, using any combination of the seven cards you are dealt. Aces are always low ,...

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! Reply back to this moron that he just proved you won by the statement quoted above. That is, your low hand was a pair of Aces and your opponent's low hand was a pair of 4s. Aces are lower than 4s!

Hoist the idiot on his own pitard!

If this doesn't work, I agree with Plan B...take it to the press and let Cardplayer, Bluff, etc. publicize not only the faulty Razz game programming but the ineptness of the AP staff.

[/ QUOTE ]

<sarcasm>

Geez, Wahoo, keep reading. Didn't you see that my highest low card was a 9 and his was a 7? Pairs don't matter! This is low hand poker, remember?

</sarcasm>
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<sarcasm>

Geez, Wahoo, keep reading. Didn't you see that my highest low card was a 9 and his was a 7? Pairs don't matter! This is low hand poker, remember?

</sarcasm>

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice use of faux UBB code. We have needed this kind of delimiter in the stud forum for a long time. Shame on the rest of you! Fleshbot has only 4 posts and has already contributed 2 useful things.