Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: TTT 5/T

[ QUOTE ]
What worse hand plays like this and then calls the river check raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Q9+? hero is clearly repping a bluff when neither of them usually have a good hand here.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:46 PM

3bet preflop
donk flop or at least donk turn
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 PM

Flop is way standard. C/ring here is pretty meh, with the board crippled.

33/66 is significantly better to c/r with, just because there are 3x as many Tx combos out there.

I know it looks a little results oriented, but I really like a turn lead, for a couple of reasons.

a) J really isn't much of a scare card, so I dunno how often he fires air.
b) A [censored] of hands just picked up gutshots or better, and he may well try to semibluff us with these draws or call incorrectly if we lead, but may take a freebie if we check.
c) The same reasons that you probably don't want to lead the lower part of your range are good reasons to lead with the top of it. [censored] balance when your reads are weak, just see what he does, and adjust from there.

I don't hate the check on occasion, but it sure sucks when he checks back for a freebie that might cost us a lot of chips.

River seems pretty standard as played. Hardly any hands that he calls a bet with that he won't bet himself.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What worse hand plays like this and then calls the river check raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

9T, 99, 96 are about it. This is part of what I was getting at; if we arrive at the river with this line do we still check-raise? He shoved and I folded, in retrospect I think this is a very good line if I just call the river, as weak as it seems.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM

What about any of the Tx/Jx hands that he checked the turn with for pot control, then decided that you were FOS when you c/red?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:20 PM

hmm, an interesting question would be how to best balance your range such that you can donk this turn with TT. maybe if you call the flop with 55~ and your hand is probably good, but don't want to give a free card & can't take any heat from a draw that he'd bet the turn with? but i guess we'd have to do it very rarely since we also rarely have sets on this board, which makes it hard to implement simply because you'd either forget to do it entirely or probably do it too much.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm, an interesting question would be how to best balance your range such that you can donk this turn with TT. maybe if you call the flop with 55~ and your hand is probably good, but don't want to give a free card & can't take any heat from a draw that he'd bet the turn with? but i guess we'd have to do it very rarely since we also rarely have sets on this board, which makes it hard to implement simply because you'd either forget to do it entirely or probably do it too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's already balanced by peoples' preconceived notions of what the c/c-lead line means
Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 PM

against people who have played a lot of hands with you and have never seen you do a c/c lead turn line before, i think balancing actually matters quite a bit. obviously not in mid stakes though.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
an interesting question would be how to best balance your range such that you can donk this turn with TT.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends so much on how he reacts to it, and if we get to showdown.

Balance for the sake of balance is usually far from optimal, IMO, regardless of opposition.

A few other times you might want to use this line:
a) Blocking bets with draws
b) Top pair
c) OOP floats/bluffs

[ QUOTE ]
against people who have played a lot of hands with you and have never seen you do a c/c lead turn line before, i think balancing actually matters quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you figure?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 PM

I'd just lead the river. And if I've got a bluffy image then I c/r the flop all day.