Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Fairly standard $1/2 PLO hand?

So I am pretty new to playing PLO cash games but I have some experience with it and wanted to make sure this hand was played correctly. Both myself and the villain are deep and our images are near mirrors of each other.

FullTiltPoker Game #3332749285: Table April (6 max) - $1/$2 - Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 17:53:30 ET - 2007/08/22
Seat 1: SB ($60.60)
Seat 2: HERO (BB) ($574.10)
Seat 3: UTG ($113.25)
Seat 4: MP ($192.25)
Seat 5: VILLAIN CO ($381.85)
Seat 6: Button ($120)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Qh Qc Kc Ks]
2 folds
Villian raises to $7
SB calls $6
HERO = ?? Both ranges for villain and SB are quite wide here so I decided to repot.

HERO raises to $28
VILLAIN raises to $91
SB folds

Now I'm 95% sure the VILLAIN is holding AAxx so if my read is correct I know that another raise is obviously incorrect but folding could also be incorrect because I felt that the VILLAIN would stack off if I hit the flop right. So a call is assuredly correct here right?

HERO has 15 seconds left to act
HERO calls $63
*** FLOP *** [Jc 9c 4h]

Not the picture perfect flop but it did hit me pretty damn hard and if the VILLAIN is holding naked aces without my clubs I am in decent shape. So its now evident that I'm getting it in, the question is do you lead for pot here or c/r or does it really matter? I know the VILLAIN is solid so a lead might have been correct to maybe induce a fold but instead I let him bet for me.

HERO checks
VILLAIN bets $189
HERO raises to $483.10, and is all in
VILLAIN calls $101.85, and is all in
HERO shows [Qh Qc Kc Ks]
VILLAIN shows [Ah Td Ac 6h]
Uncalled bet of $192.25 returned to HERO

So, it turned out he did just have the naked aces with a 1 blocker to my straight and another to the flush. All I'm concerned about is the PF and flop play, is this standardly played?

Also from the villain's point of view, do you play AAxx this fast against a solid opponent this deep?

Up to this point this was the biggest plo pot I have played so I wanted to reassure myself that it was right. Thanks for any imput in advance.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Fairly standard $1/2 PLO hand?

Pretty obv your up agaisnt AAxx here imo.

Like the repot preflop and I call the 4 bet.

On the flop I lead out here and bet it hard.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Checkraising here minimizes your fold equity as he'll likely be committed to calling once he bets since it's a big 4bet pot already.

Donk potting it into him will increase your fold equity since he'll require a stronger hand to stick it in. This could possibly work against you by pushing out all the coinflip hands while weighing in all the times he has good draws or makes your flush draw worthless, but I think this might be the more +EV option. Would be interesting to see the math for it with a Pokerstove-like app.

If your read is that he'll stack off postflop a lot in this spot then either way may not really matter, so it might be better to play it in a way that it doesn't set up future situations where you play your draws/monsters transparently (if that even matters).

I think given that you're both deep that you have more fold equity with potting it into him though.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:02 AM

Wait a minute! First, you know villain will stack off, then you say you have some fold equity maybe on betting out. I guess you're saying he'll definitely stack off if you just keep calling (?).

Anyhow, I'm not all that fond of the re-raise OOP, although it can't be horrible.

And, on that board, you have your gutshot plus flush that you're assuming is good for another 9 outs, plus another 4 for your sets if they don't help him. So, we're looking ideally at 16 outs, but some of them probably aren't live. That's still plenty, even though the flush draw might not be good.

Well, once villain has bet, I do think you have 0 fold equity since he has too little left to fold. I think I would bet it out and at least give him the opportunity to fold if he wants to. Once you're in that far, there's certainly no going away with your hand.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:16 AM

That's an interesting point.

On the actual hands, villain has 46.30% equity. Hence, if he does fold the flop, he's making a bad laydown. I think that means that betting out is clearly the best play here. KKQQ is ahead, but his particular AA shouldn't fold.

If any AA but AA with nut flush does lay down, then that has to increase your equity overall, since just random AA isn't far enough behind to warrant going away.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:35 AM

I think you played it well. He won't ever fold AA on the flop but if this time he turns up with 3456 no clubs he will certainly bet.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it well. He won't ever fold AA on the flop but if this time he turns up with 3456 no clubs he will certainly bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I mean that check raising the flop is good, because it traps some hands which are in bad shape against us, but if we bet the flop we never fold out a better hand.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I mean that check raising the flop is good, because it traps some hands which are in bad shape against us, but if we bet the flop we never fold out a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but we also offer free cards to people who would otherwise fold the flop.
Life is a bitch.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM

yeah true, I expect people to bet here nearly 100% though.