Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Virgin America launch

so, Virgin America just had their inaugural intra-US flight. Boing Boing had a very positive review posted here and it sounds like this will be a great airline. lots of power ports, wifi/ethernet, civilized lighting, comfy seats, etc.

Right now their flight finder shows the following airports:

JFK, LAX, LAS, SFO and IAD (Washington DC), with the routes starting from yesterday and gradually expanding through October.

fares are very reasonable right now, playing around with it I saw 1 way fares from $199 to $329 for the JFK-SFO route.

1st class fares are currently $500 ish each way.

I'm sure prices will rise, but wow I think this is a great option if you need to make this trip in the near future.

anyways, I remember thinking similar things when Jetblue launched as a "new type" of airline. I still think they are better than other carriers, but they have taken their lumps lately. do you think Virgin can rise above the pack here?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Virgin America launch

they have internet? that is going to be huge. i don't have the slightest clue how that works.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they have internet? that is going to be huge. i don't have the slightest clue how that works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its just really long Cat5.

What is the irish airline that was supposed to come to the US and have like 20$ flights? are they still? are they here yet?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 AM

Virgin Atlantic kicks major ass so I expect Virgin America to be awesome as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:06 AM

Wonder if they'll ever fly out of Seattle. Seems like none of the great airlines fly much out of here. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 08-09-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the irish airline that was supposed to come to the US and have like 20$ flights? are they still? are they here yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

RyanAir, which is a totally different type of airline. less than no frills, dirt chip, really similar to riding a bus. I have heard no plans that they are no longer planning US based flights.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a few airlines have stopped and started on board internet, a few people plan relaunches, a couple still have it, and most US airlines don't even know what the internet is.

it makes having a small wifi enabled device pretty sweet, easier than whipping out the laptop for basic surfing or w/e.

but since there will be power outlets a plenty, playing poker on the laptop for a few hours would be a pretty great way to kill time.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 AM

Virgin America's internet service on board will not begin until 2008. I am actually very interested since I like Virgin Atlantic, but I will never need to fly the current routes.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a few airlines have stopped and started on board internet, a few people plan relaunches, a couple still have it, and most US airlines don't even know what the internet is.

it makes having a small wifi enabled device pretty sweet, easier than whipping out the laptop for basic surfing or w/e.

but since there will be power outlets a plenty, playing poker on the laptop for a few hours would be a pretty great way to kill time.

[/ QUOTE ]
is the signal strong enough to play poker?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM

Let me preface this with I absolutely hate flying. If I ever become a multi-billionaire it is with the intention of buying out each airline slowly but surely and then burning them to the ground. That being said, my flight from London to Washington on Virgin Atlantic was the best flight I have ever been on. The plane/the seats/service everything was a step above any other airline.