Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Beer in Belgium (trip report)

Also, the street waffles are like the best street food anywhere ever. You want the "liege" style sugar waffles, I like them chocolate-dipped but plain is good too. Holy crap I wanna go to Belgium.

ps. KBZ - love the photos, awesome TR
Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 AM

KBZ,

Awesome report. My next Europe trip is gonna include a stint in belgium drinking beer and eating frites and waffles.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:55 AM

cool trip report. sorry for a slight hijack, but I was wondering if you guys could give some beer recommendations for a guy that doesn't really like beer. I haven't tried much but for some reason don't really like the taste; would like to give it more tries. I've tried bud/heineken/fat tire and though I could tell fat tire was way better, the taste still didn't appeal to me. But I would like to like beer. Suggestions?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we know where MrWookie is going for his next vacation...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not next vacation (the next one will be in Seattle for my best friend's wedding), but I know that I MUST get my sorry ass out to Belgium. Great report.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cool trip report. sorry for a slight hijack, but I was wondering if you guys could give some beer recommendations for a guy that doesn't really like beer. I haven't tried much but for some reason don't really like the taste; would like to give it more tries. I've tried bud/heineken/fat tire and though I could tell fat tire was way better, the taste still didn't appeal to me. But I would like to like beer. Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Since we're on the subject of Belgian beer, try one of Chimay's three varieties. They're widely available (any decent liquor store will stock them) and will be completely different than any American-style lager you've had. The trippel (white label) is my favorite. Also try Hoegaarden (a very different Belgian beer) with a slice of lemon. Great on a hot day. Or any day.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:50 AM

Very good trip report. Hoping to go to Europe next year, and this definately put Belgium on must-see list.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you buy the Westvleteren? I tried to pick some up in the morning before I had to leave Brussels, but struck out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found it at Beer Mania (12 euro/bottle, they had plenty) which is a store in the middle of nowhere, and Bier Temple (6 euro/bottle, they didn't have much), which is a small store right off the Grand Place.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 AM

Very nice report, I have a few nits to pick:
* "Triple" doesn't mean triple the alcohol as such, it means it's fermented 3 times rather than once (there are also doubles). This does add alcohol, of course, but most triples are around 9% alcohol to the 5% for "normal" beers.
* There are only six REAL Trappist monateries still active, though some other beers are "pretend" trappists.
The real Trappists are: Orval, Chimay, Westvleteren, Westmalle, Rochefort and Achel.
See Belgian Trappists
Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very good trip report. Hoping to go to Europe next year, and this definately put Belgium on must-see list.

[/ QUOTE ]

for those who want to go to Belgium (and are interested in beer), I would say you should spend time in both Brugge and Brussels. I think Brugge is a whole lot nicer, but Brussels is worth a stop for a few days as well. If you haven't had your fill of Belgians by then, both Amsterdam and Paris (only 80 minutes by train from Brussels) both have lots of great beer bars, although there is obviously local culture in those places that is great as well. anywho Brugge + Brussels + Amsterdam or Paris would be a great and easy 10 day trip.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Ja,

Try a hefeweizen - Widmer is the most common one in stores and it's OK, much better than Pyramid IMO. You could also try a Belgian white beer like Blue Moon, but I'm sure there are better examples of Belgian white beers that I don't know about.

LFS