Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: I wanna start a Ron Paul thread too!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Paul ran 3rd party, he would definitely take more votes from the Republicans. There are a lot more libertarian leaning republicans than democrats around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure about that. I'm having a difficult time figuring out who the lesser of two evils is in this day and age, and I'll remind everyone that I voted for Kerry back in '04 when I identified as libertarian.

[/ QUOTE ]
I base this off of how I frequently hear people who aren't familiar with libertarianism talking about how they want the government to "get off our back". Most of these people vote Republican, mostly for the lower taxes I imagine.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he runs 3rd party, do you guys think he'll take more votes from a the republican side or the democrat side? I can definitely imagine some people on the left voting for him over hillary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'll be fairly even.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There's a sucker born every minute. Anyone who takes action on Paul to win in November at 15-1 is an idiot. They'll tell you to never bet on your favorite team in Sports betting for the same reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mostly agree with this, but it's still an indicator, and a much more neutral one than most of the polls we've seen, online or off.

[ QUOTE ]
If Paul ran 3rd party, he would definitely take more votes from the Republicans. There are a lot more libertarian leaning republicans than democrats around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before Bush, the neo-cons and Iraq, when it seemed like Republicans were the lesser evil (to libertarians), supporting smaller government, this was true. Today, I'm pretty sure it's much closer to 50/50. Had I been forced to choose between Bush and Kerry in 04, I'd have definitely chosen Kerry. (of course, I voted for Badnarik)
Old 06-03-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before Bush, the neo-cons and Iraq, when it seemed like Republicans were the lesser evil (to libertarians), supporting smaller government, this was true. Today, I'm pretty sure it's much closer to 50/50. H

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes sense.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I base this off of how I frequently hear people who aren't familiar with libertarianism talking about how they want the government to "get off our back". Most of these people vote Republican, mostly for the lower taxes I imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I voted Democrat.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure about that. I'm having a difficult time figuring out who the lesser of two evils is in this day and age, and I'll remind everyone that I voted for Kerry back in '04 when I identified as libertarian.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think you are right... taxes are an everyday event, whereas other intervening of govt is here and there.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he could have serious influence over the policies of the other nominees, as both parties may attempt to adopt some of his stances in order to not bleed votes to him

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what you mean to say is that it may effect some of the speeches they give.