Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: ***Official Weird Animal Thread***

Check out the following on the monster pig scam:

How the pig was photoshopped bigger

Old 06-02-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just saw this on msn. Supposedly the cat can get up to 30 pounds. Given the origins, I wonder about their demeanor.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18965940?GT1=10056

[ QUOTE ]

But one company, banking on the fact there are more than a few prospective pet owners willing to part with some serious ka-ching for a kitten, is selling a designer breed of cat that costs $22,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The pricey pet is said to have been produced by cross-breeding an African Serval and an Asian Leopard Cat with a domestic feline

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Savannahs are supposed to have regular, domestic house cat demeanor and are recognized as a domestic cat legally.

Apparently the Serval is very docile and there's a long tradition of these cats being tamed in Africa to be kept around villages for rodent suppression. Temperament was a key factor in choosing Servals for the breeding (as opposed to a bobcat, fishing cat, etc.)

Cost was largely driven by scarcity. Part of the reason for the scarcity is that a serval and a domestic house cat have different gestation times for kittens so the mortality was high. As far as I'm aware, you can now get kittens for less than $1000.

The first generation of these cats are the ones that can get over 30 lbs (and 18-24 inches at the shoulder).

I'm not a cat breeder kook. I stumbled upon these things a couple years ago and like the idea of having a really big house cat. The cats I've owned have generally been strays, pound cats or hand me downs so I'm not predisposed to paying a breeder. Still, I like the idea of a thirty pound house cat sunning itself in the back yard.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out the following on the monster pig scam:

How the pig was photoshopped bigger

[/ QUOTE ]

My skepticism is vindicated. See my earlier posts in this thread with pig size comparisons. I knew that pig was exagerrated.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just saw this on msn. Supposedly the cat can get up to 30 pounds. Given the origins, I wonder about their demeanor.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18965940?GT1=10056

[ QUOTE ]

But one company, banking on the fact there are more than a few prospective pet owners willing to part with some serious ka-ching for a kitten, is selling a designer breed of cat that costs $22,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The pricey pet is said to have been produced by cross-breeding an African Serval and an Asian Leopard Cat with a domestic feline

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Savannahs are supposed to have regular, domestic house cat demeanor and are recognized as a domestic cat legally.

Apparently the Serval is very docile and there's a long tradition of these cats being tamed in Africa to be kept around villages for rodent suppression. Temperament was a key factor in choosing Servals for the breeding (as opposed to a bobcat, fishing cat, etc.)

Cost was largely driven by scarcity. Part of the reason for the scarcity is that a serval and a domestic house cat have different gestation times for kittens so the mortality was high. As far as I'm aware, you can now get kittens for less than $1000.

The first generation of these cats are the ones that can get over 30 lbs (and 18-24 inches at the shoulder).

I'm not a cat breeder kook. I stumbled upon these things a couple years ago and like the idea of having a really big house cat. The cats I've owned have generally been strays, pound cats or hand me downs so I'm not predisposed to paying a breeder. Still, I like the idea of a thirty pound house cat sunning itself in the back yard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Main Coons can get to be well over 20, I understand. The ones I've seen at cat shows were huge. Really long legs, too. Problem is, they say a 30 pound cat can kill a man. You'd better be great with cats and have one with an angelic temper that adores being handled, or you're going to have a hell of a time clipping its nails, bathing it and giving it medicine, etc. I'd advise getting something way smaller until you're really sure just how awesome with cats you are.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Main Coons can get to be well over 20, I understand. The ones I've seen at cat shows were huge. Really long legs, too. Problem is, they say a 30 pound cat can kill a man. You'd better be great with cats and have one with an angelic temper that adores being handled, or you're going to have a hell of a time clipping its nails, bathing it and giving it medicine, etc. I'd advise getting something way smaller until you're really sure just how awesome with cats you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note this part:

[ QUOTE ]
...I like the idea of a thirty pound house cat...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no illusions about the downside. My mom once owned (someone gave it to her!) an ocelot which proved to be quite unmanageable, especially with small children.

It's unlikely that I'd ever purchase such a cat, but the concept has visceral appeal.

My 16 year old 8 lb. tabby is enough of a handful. I'm sure the next cat will come from the pound.

(Never a big fan of the Maine Coon. Have always preferred short haired cats.)

There's always this: http://www.selectsmart.com/beta_cat/ if you have interest in seeing which cat fits your preferences. I appear to be the type who would do well with an Abyssinian.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:21 PM

Gorgeous cats but supposedly very destructive and need tons of attention. Sort of the cat equivalent to a working dog like the Border Collie in terms of needing constant stimulation.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man that's cute. I want one!