Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Laptop liquid damage heads up

Yesterday afternoon I spilt maybe an ounce of OJ on the keyboard of my *school* IBM laptop. Now, the mouse works fine but when I would type one keystroke, it would type two characters on the screen, signifying a problem.

So within 5 minutes, I disconnected the AC supply and the battery and turned it over upside down.

I'm worried somewhat as I have average computer competency and am unsure of how damaged the laptop is and also because I'm unsure of my school's policy regarding this type of situation.

Comments/opinions on how minor/major the (technical) problem is appreciated.

Also, I will be bringing it into the IT department this morning.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Laptop liquid damage heads up

Well - the only thing I see that you may have done wrong is, of course spill the Orange Juice originally...but other than that, the first rule if you have liquid damage is - don't hit any buttons after it happens, because you can cause it to short.

You did good in turning it over and disconnecting the power (not using the power button, because again - it can short).

If you were fast enough, I would say that most likely all your damage is going to be to the keyboard. It may just be sticky, but it's not just something you can clean that easily. Your best bet will probably be to just replace the whole keyboard.

Other than that, you probably don't have that much damage. Usually spills do not even make it through the keyboard to any other hardware.

/gold