Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Beat: People think I\'m a Bum. BBV, help me Brag?

This is probably the wrong forum because I'm looking for some serious advice, but whatev.

I never know what to tell people when they ask me about school/my job. I try to be modest, but that usually just makes me sound like a bum. Like two days ago I meet a friend of a friend, and we have this convo:

Him: So, what do you study?
Me: I studied philosophy. I don't do school anymore though.
Him: You finished?
Me: I kinda retired from school. It's not for me.
Him: Oh. So what do you do?
Me: I play poker.
Him: Oh, cool. (Obviously thinks I'm a degen and trying to make me feel comfortable) Yeah I know a guy who made $21k his senior year playing poker, so you can make a decent living off of that.
Me (who made $21k before breakfast): Yeah.

The next day another guy and I have a similar conversation where he doesn't understand when I tell him I don't do school anymore for a while and then once he does assures me that I'll figure stuff out. He also knew a guy that made $10k in a week!

I don't really like to talk about poker to non-poker players, and I don't wanna just tell them that I'm rich. I don't really care that people don't know how much money I make, but I don't like when they look down on me like I'm homeless.

What should I say when people ask about school/work?

I perform with a professional improv company every week, and I have articles published in Bluff Magazine, although I don't really make any money from those. Should I just say that I'm a writer/actor?

Should I just get a baller watch and let it speak for me?

What do I say when people tell me about how much money someone they know has made? What about when they ask me the most I've ever won or lost? I usually say that I'd rather not tell them.

Help BBV!
Old 02-18-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Beat: People think I\'m a Bum. BBV, help me Brag?

yeah, say you're a writer. no one cares too much.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:41 AM

I wad of 10,000 in straight cash hanging out your front pocket could ease a lot of this tension my friend.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:42 AM

For starters you could talk like you are more of a balla.
For example instead of posting what you did you could have written this:

This is probably tha wriznong forum coz im look'n fo` some serious advice, but whatev.

i rappa kizzy what ta tizzell thugz W-H-to-tha-izzen they ask me `bout school/my job in tha mutha [censored] club. i try ta be modest, but thiznat usually J-to-tha-izzust makes me sound like a bum. like two days ago i meet a nigga of a friend, n we have this convo:

him: so, whiznat dizzle study?
me: i studied philosophy. i dont do schoo` anymore though.
him: you finished?
me: i kinda retired fizzle school. its not fo` me.
him: oh . They call me tha black folks president. so wizzy d-ya do?
me: i play cracka: oh, cool. (obviously thinks im a degen n try'n ta makes me feel comfortizzles yeah i kniznow a homey who made $izzle his senior year play'n poka, so you can makes a decent liv'n off of that.
me (izzy made $21k before breakfast): yeah.

The N-to-tha-izzext day hustla homey n i hizzle a similar conversizzle where he doesnt understand when i tizzy him i dizzont do schoo` anymore fo` a while n tizzle once he does assures me that ill figure shiznit out. he also knizzay a homey that made $10k in a week!

i dizzont really like ta rap `bout poka ta non-poka gangsta n i dizzle wanna jizzle tell thiznem tizzle im rizzay. i dont really care that thugz dont kniznow how mizzle money i make, but i dizzont like W-H-to-tha-izzen they look down on me like im homelizzles should i say whizzay thugz ask `bout school/work?

i perform witta professizzle improv company every week, n i have articles published in bluff magazizzles although i diznont really makes any money fizzy those . Slap your mutha [censored] self. should i jiznust say thizzay im a writa/actor?
Should I just git a pusha wizzay n let it speak fo` me?

What do I say wizzle thugz tizzy me `bout how mizzle money someone they kizzle has made? W-H-to-tha-izzat `bout when they ask me tha mizzle Ive ever won or lost? I usually say tizzle Id motherfucka not tizzay them.

Help BBV in tha hood!
Old 02-18-2007, 02:42 AM

Win a donkament on TV
Old 02-18-2007, 02:43 AM

take a line from the movie 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' and say you're retired at your age because you invented dice when you were younger.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:47 AM

Answer as close to be honest as you can, plz. Then report back to BBV
Old 02-18-2007, 02:47 AM

Why are all these random guys asking you what you do?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:48 AM

instead of hand me that sandwitch say: HAMEY DAT SAMMICH!
instead of who is that say: WHO DAT IS?
instead of what is that say: WUZZ DAT?
instead of Throw some D's on it say: THOWSUM DEES ONNAT!

CHA CHING
Old 02-18-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
take a line from the movie 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' and say you're retired at your age because you invented dice when you were younger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using a joke line this is excellent. I kind of prefer it to telling people im a professional poker player these days. Mostly, due to the negative associations it brings up and having to answer the same questions all the time.

Also if you care about what people think you should buy cool toys (car watch etc.). I know its lame but these are things people consciously and subconsciously associate with success. After people see my place/car etc. I really don’t get negative reactions anymore .