Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Angry Friend & Pot Odds Question

In our local league i played a hand against my buddy that went like this.

I am under the gun with aj off 7 handed. Guy in SB is total donk chip leader who has just called a pre flop raise and then an all in post flop on 272 board with 64 off.

Blinds are 75-150 i have 8000 in chips. i get aj off under the gun and limp. ya ya i know. My friend who is two off the button raises to 600. He has 1800 total. Button calls SB surprisingly calls. BB folds. Had sb folded i am willing to maybe let this go here against my tight playing friend, and cold caller out of position. i call. flop comes kj4 rainbow. total pot is 2550.

The donk in sb always bets when he has a hand, but always check calls when he has nothing so im not too worried about him. Plus i have position on him. He checks. I check friend pushes all in for 1200 more button folds, sb check calls again, and i ask my friend if he has ak. i pick up obvious tell he does not and he would not raise on kj normally. so im worried about kk, qq, jj or kq i feel, albeit him having a lower pocket pair is a possibility. i figure he does not have kk or jj so i figure if he has the other two i have five outs twice. about 4:1 odds. i run some quick math its 1200 more into 5000 chip pot and if im not good im getting about correct odds, because ive ruled out ak, kk, and jj.

So i call. total pot 6200. Me and donk check blank 3 on turn. I make small 1k bet on river blank 4 to donk and he calls with q5. my friend flips over 88 angrily and i explain to him i thought i was good, and even if i wasnt i was getting about right price in big pot that would not cripple my stack. He proceeded to over use the words pot odds the rest of the night to try to poke fun at me.

am i correct in my thinking here any comments or alternative ways to play this.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Angry Friend & Pot Odds Question

This is pretty standard I think. Tell your friend to push if he wants fold equity.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Is the SB blind?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 PM

Don't limp-call unless you are specifically trapping someone. If you decided to play AJ then raise it. Just 2 x BB if you wish. Make others respond to the fact you've raised rather than just call/check by default.

Your friend's M is (1800/225) or 8. In general with an M less than 10 you should raise allin [unless wanting action with a monster] and it's imperative here with your extra 150 in the pot if he thinks you're limping with a marginal hand. No other play is correct here - you simply cannot put in 1/3 of your stack pre-flop and play post-flop correctly. You particularly must raise allin with a modest pair like 88. Raising 600 here is a terrible play. Folding is better. There is obviously enough money in the pot for you to call.

Post-flop you've caught second pair nut-kicker which is obviously sufficient to call an allin of just 1200 if everyone else is out. The SB calling makes things a bit tricky but if you read is that he is just a donk then his call makes it even more attractive odds for a call by you.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:09 PM

Your friend raised 1/3rd of his stack instead of pushing PF, you might want to tell him that if he had just open pushed you probably wouldn't have gone on w/ the hand. Not open pushing is a bad move, esp when a std raise puts so much of your stack in.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the SB blind?

[/ QUOTE ]
small and blind
Old 01-24-2007, 06:42 PM

Tell your friend nothing personal, but suck it up. You were getting great odds, with the added bonus of a chip dispenser coming along for the ride. Folding now is horrible. He should've pushed preflop, then you would've folded.

That said, I agree that you should've raised with your AJ if you wanted to play it. Otherwise, just muck it. You'll keep your friends longer that way. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

--TFGoose
Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM

small and blind maybe. he had something that i normally dont look for in dates so i cant tell you. yeah he was the worst player i have ever seen. anyways i know the aj limp and call was bad that is why i said ya ya i know in original post. i even considered putting my friend all in pre and coming over the top to get isolation to keep donkey boy from catching something, but knew i could get proper read post flop and didnt want to get all in with aj in a possible 60-40 situation with donkey boy pre flop.