Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 01-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Waiting to show a good hand

[ QUOTE ]
Since we are talking about a slow-roll, if someone with the nuts asks you for your chip count when you moved all-in, is that a slow-roll? Seems to me it is, they have the nuts for crying out loud!

Happened to me at a small home game so I chalked it up to the guy being a newbie and did not want to complain. After all, I was the dumb-a** that moved in on a semi-bluff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this was on the river, and or there were no possible draws to beat his hand. In that case, the only reason to ask for a count is if this was a tourney and there was some reason why he might want to keep you in the game (advanced bubble play, you are really bad, etc).
Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just read the FAQ and read something that surprised me. It called it a "slowroll" if you wait to show what you think is the winning hand on the river, and thus a breach of etiquette. Well first of all that's not what I call a slowroll - I think if it as thinking awhile before calling a river bet with the stone cold nuts. Or messing around with showing your hand when it's your turn to show.

But if you always show your cards first just because you might have the best hand, then how the heck do you ever get to see the other guy's cards? I thought you simply went by Robert's rules of poker. The last guy to make a move (bet or raise) was the first guy to show. If he's bluffing me, I want to see what he's bluffing me with. That's just the way poker is played. What's the scoop?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you just call the opponents bet and/or check behind, then you are probably pretty unsure as to whether you have the best hand at show down.

The only case that I can think of where it would be the opponents turn to show first AND you are sure you have the best hand would be if you went for a check-raise on the river and the house is using the last aggressor rule for showdown order. This should not come up very often so you are not losing much info if you show first when you have a monster in this situation.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this was on the river, and or there were no possible draws to beat his hand. In that case, the only reason to ask for a count is if this was a tourney and there was some reason why he might want to keep you in the game (advanced bubble play, you are really bad, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like a good strategy... you should write a book.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like a good strategy... you should write a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that sounds like a back-handed compliment [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img].

My normal line is "do you give lessons?" Of course, I usually reserve that for cases where someone is berating a fish's play. Not the case here since AFAIK the OP that I was responding to is not a fish.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a slowroll - I think if it as thinking awhile before calling a river bet with the stone cold nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if someone with the nuts asks you for your chip count when you moved all-in, is that a slow-roll? Seems to me it is,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thees are not slowrolls. The key word here is roll, as in rolling your hand over.

A slowroll is when someone shows a hand and you look disappointed, maybe even say nice hand, then roll over the winner.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a slowroll - I think if it as thinking awhile before calling a river bet with the stone cold nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if someone with the nuts asks you for your chip count when you moved all-in, is that a slow-roll? Seems to me it is,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thees are not slowrolls. The key word here is roll, as in rolling your hand over.

A slowroll is when someone shows a hand and you look disappointed, maybe even say nice hand, then roll over the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the other day I was HU in a huge pot, led the river got called. I say 2 pair as I flip up my hand he nods his head with a "that's good" look, waits 10 seconds and flips over the nut flush.

NOW THAT'S A [censored] SLOWROLL
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 PM

Yeah, tourny, certainly not an advanced play by this guy. Turn raise of his donk bet into a 3 flush board. I did not put him on the flush. Nothing on the board to be afraid of. I just did not like it since it gave me false hope that he 1-did not have the nut, 2-I had some fold equity and it looked as if it might work.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
These are related to slow rolls but probably deserve their own name. Not sure what that name might be. The classic slow roll is as stated...at the showdown, being slow to roll your cards over. These other things are dickish in that they are pointless and serve only to give hope to someone with no chance of winning, and that's basically what the classic slow roll does.

Now I've also seen people get hot under the collar when someone spent a few seconds thinking about calling a large bet with less than the nuts. That's not the same thing...whether it's a nut flush facing a possible 2-card straightflush or a full-house fearing quads, you get to think it through before you call.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FAQ:

3 - If you suspect you have the winning hand at show-down then go ahead and show it. To 'stall' is called slow-rolling and is considered exceptionally bad form.

Terrible definition of "slow rolling". kerowo's definition of is correct. Waiting your turn to show with what "might" be the winner is not slow rolling, although turning it over out of turn will speed up the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what limit you are playing. At small games just turn up the cards, the info you can gain or lose just isn't worth holding up the game if you ahve the likely winner.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
calling a river bet with the stone cold nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise with the nuts.