Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Default AP All-Pro Team

Shocking. Peyton isn't starting the first team, Drew Brees is.

5 Chargers, 4 Bears. Adalius Thomas making the team. Chad Johnson also made the team which I don't believe he deserved to.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2724228

LaDainian Tomlinson, Jason Taylor and Champ Bailey capped superb seasons by unanimously making The Associated Press NFL All-Pro team announced Monday.

Tomlinson, San Diego's record-setting running back, also won the AP Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year awards. Miami end Taylor was the Defensive Player of the Year.
Bailey tied for the league lead with 10 interceptions even though opponents tried to avoid throwing to the Broncos cornerback's side of the field.

"My whole idea to go out on a Sunday is to be a pain in the butt for the other team," said Taylor, who had 62 tackles, 13½ sacks, 14 quarterback hurries, two interceptions -- both returned for TDs -- 11 passes defensed, 10 fumbles forced and two fumbles recovered.

"If I can be a pain in their butt and give somebody a headache, then more times than not, it's going to work out well for myself."

It worked out so well for him, Tomlinson -- who set NFL records for points with 186, touchdowns with 31 and TDs rushing with 28 -- and Bailey that they received all 50 votes from a nationwide panel of sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL.

Two others, both Chicago Bears, came close to sweeping the vote. Devin Hester, who set a league mark with six kick returns for touchdowns, was the only rookie on the team, earning 48½ votes. Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher, a repeater from last year, got 48.

In all, the Chargers had the most All-Pros with five: Tomlinson, tight end Antonio Gates, fullback Lorenzo Neal, defensive tackle Jamal Williams and linebacker Shawne Merriman, who made it despite serving a four-game suspension for violating the league's steroids policy. Merriman still wound up with a league-best 17 sacks.

The Bears were next with four All-Pros: Urlacher, Hester, center Olin Kreutz and kicker Robbie Gould.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees edged the Colts' Peyton Manning 25 votes to 24 for the quarterback spot. It was the first time since 2002 that Manning was not the first-team quarterback.

Brees engineered the turnaround in New Orleans from 3-13 to 10-6 and an NFC South division title.

He was joined on the All-Pro squad by Saints second-year tackle Jammal Brown.

Kansas City's Larry Johnson was selected in the backfield with Brees, a former Charger, and the two San Diego backs.

The wideouts are Marvin Harrison of Indianapolis and Chad Johnson of Cincinnati.

Another Bengal, tackle Willie Anderson, is on the offensive line, where he's joined by Philadelphia guard Shawn Andrews and Pittsburgh guard Alan Faneca.

Taylor anchors a defense also featuring end Carolina end Julius Peppers, Minnesota tackle Kevin Williams, Baltimore linebacker Adalius Thomas, Miami linebacker Zach Thomas, Jacksonville cornerback Rashean Mathis, Philadelphia safety Brian Dawkins and Baltimore safety Ed Reed.

"It means a lot," said Adalius Thomas, a first-time All-Pro. "It's a tribute not to myself, but to a lot of the guys up front. I don't think you could have a good linebacking corps without good defensive linemen. That's a tribute to Kelly Gregg, Haloti Ngata, Trevor Pryce and all those guys and the other linebackers, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Terrell Suggs."

Buffalo's Brian Moorman is the punter.

Repeaters from 2005 are Gates, Chad Johnson, Anderson, Faneca, Jamal Williams, Urlacher, Bailey and Moorman.

In all, there are 18 AFC players and 10 from the NFC.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: AP All-Pro Team

NO TE? WTF?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:02 PM

I didn't copy the list. But Gates made it. He's a TE.

Offense

Drew Brees QB Saints
LaDainian Tomlinson RB Chargers
Larry Johnson RB Chiefs
Lorenzo Neal FB Chargers
Marvin Harrison WR Colts
Chad Johnson WR Bengals
Jammal Brown T Saints
Willie Anderson T Bengals
Shawn Andrews G Eagles
Alan Faneca G Steelers
Olin Kreutz C Bears
Robbie Gould K Bears
Devin Hester KR Bears

Defense

Jason Taylor DE Dolphins
Julius Peppers DE Panthers
Jamal Williams DT Chargers
Kevin Williams DT Vikings
Shawne Merriman OLB Chargers
Adalius Thomas OLB Ravens
Brian Urlacher MLB Bears
Zach Thomas MLB Bears
Rashean Mathis CB Jaguars
Champ Bailey CB Broncos
Brian Dawkins S Eagles
Ed Reed S Ravens
Brian Moorman P Bills

It's not on the list but in the article it clearly states Gates is one of 5 All-Pros from the Chargers.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NO TE? WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In all, the Chargers had the most All-Pros with five: Tomlinson, tight end Antonio Gates

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Not really any objections here. They did a fine job except for leaving Peyton off the team. I would've gone with Adrian Wilson over Brian Dawkins though. Rashean Mathis is a beast, but Pac-Man needs some love.

EDIT: They got the wrong Williams at DT. Should've been Pat.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:03 PM

what do we think of the WR choices? did Marvin have an all-pro season, was he getting in off name, or was there just no one good enough to bounce him? maybe yes to all 3?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM

Marvin and Wayne had great years, as did Chad Johnson. At this point I don't know who you'd consider the #1 WR on the Colts as the Chiefs had Surtain on Wayne most of the game it seemed.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:05 PM

They have zack thomas listed as a bear for some reason.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:13 PM

Marvin really played well to end the season.

He was #2 in Yards, #3 in Reps and #2 in TDs.

Chad was #1 in Yards, way down the list (like 15th) with 7 Tds and decently in Reps.

Steve Smith could have arguments but he was bad at the end of the season and missed games at the start. TO dropped way too many balls.

The only 2 I could possibly see bumping Chad or Marvin are Reggie or Driver this year. If Colston stayed healthy throughout the year he could probally also be in teh arguments. I think Coles was picked by Dr-Z of CNNSI.com. Holt could also have arguments but was only good at times.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:16 PM

Not that Marvin or CJ were bad choices, but Houshmandzadeh, Roy Williams, Lee Evens could all get some consideration too I think...