Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would u download/read about such things
yes 38 88.37%
no 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Harrison or Rice?

Rice had a better peak, and it is unlikely Harrison will equal his longevity. Rice AINEC.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AINEC.

[/ QUOTE ]
this acronym owns
Old 12-08-2006, 07:17 PM

Rice is also up there with LT and Jim Brown with the most TDs over 5 games. I remember when LT broke the record it had Brown at 14, and Rice at 12 or 13, a ridiculous number for a receiver
Old 12-08-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because Harrison is ahead of Rice or even if he ends up owning all of his records doesn't mean he is the better receiver. Are you forgetting the fact that the NFL has changed rules that increase the passing game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Irrelevent, Harrison plays under the rules that govern him at the time. Simply because the rules have made contact more of a penelty, doesn't mean Harrison is any more/less of a receiver.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think Harrison and Rice are 1 and 2 all time and by the time Harrison retires you probably won't get much argument naming either as #1. However, if you're going to use stats to base your decision, you have to keep in mind that Harrison played under rules that promoted passing.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:06 PM

Don Hutson>Marvin Harrison
Old 12-08-2006, 08:09 PM

While we're on this topic:

Jordan or Raja Bell?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because Harrison is ahead of Rice or even if he ends up owning all of his records doesn't mean he is the better receiver. Are you forgetting the fact that the NFL has changed rules that increase the passing game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Irrelevent, Harrison plays under the rules that govern him at the time. Simply because the rules have made contact more of a penelty, doesn't mean Harrison is any more/less of a receiver.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think Harrison and Rice are 1 and 2 all time and by the time Harrison retires you probably won't get much argument naming either as #1. However, if you're going to use stats to base your decision, you have to keep in mind that Harrison played under rules that promoted passing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt Harrison did, but he can't change that. I mean its' not as if he's playing flag football out there, he's still playing the same game, they still try (and fail) to jam him at the line, not that much has changed.

I'm curious as to what happens if Harrison goes on to break Rices records (save for SBs, which isn't going to happen). Will people say he's the best. My guess concerning that (and much of this thread) is "no" because Rice has long been accepted as the King of WRs, and rightly so. But people are reluctant to dethron a king until absolutely proven (200 more catches, a 28 TD season or something) which isn't likely to happen. In the end I don't think it matters because they won't ever play against or with each other, and no one will be put to the test of picking one or the other, but still it's a shame that Marvin probably won't get the credit, even if he deserves it.

Lastly, Everyone get's an opinion, and this forum (unlike some others) has generally been very good about forcefully disagreeing with, but still respecting, other points of view. That said, it's increasingly difficult to read these "Rice is better, AINEC" responses. Are you guys kidding? If Harrison isn't #1 right now (which I don't think there's much argument that he isn't) almost all projections would have him at at least #2, and the disparity therein isn't as great as it's being made to seem.

Cody
Old 12-08-2006, 08:48 PM

Cody,
Rice had a better peak agree or disagree?

Also it doesn't matter if Harrison will end up being #2 or #500 the only thing that matters is the difference between him and Rice.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cody,
Rice had a better peak agree or disagree?

Also it doesn't matter if Harrison will end up being #2 or #500 the only thing that matters is the difference between him and Rice.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Don't know, not sure if Harrison has peaked yet (only half joking), but I'm going to give the edge to Rice in any case.

However, there's a qualifier here. Like everything these two need a little equalizing. Now fortunatly they both had All time great QBs, so that's even, but Harrison (especially of late, but really for about 5 years) has been pleagued by having another #1 WR on his team and a QB that goes to 3 WRS, 2TEs, and a RB for his receptions. I don't recall the make up of Rice's team, so if Montana/Young had and utilized all these options, then correct me.

2)I agree, saying "it's not close", is refering only to Rice, Harrison, and the gap betwixt. Which is what I responded to. Simply I disagree that Harrison can bearly catch a ball and Rice would spontaniously impregnate women in the first 5 rows when he did. They're both great WRs, if you think Rice is better, that's fine. I'm still not sure Harrison can be better, even with the most favorable projections of his career. My point was the the gap is no so great.

Cody
Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt Harrison did, but he can't change that. I mean its' not as if he's playing flag football out there, he's still playing the same game, they still try (and fail) to jam him at the line, not that much has changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, alot changed when they made that rule. Lots of WR's stats went way up as a result of it.

b