Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 11-25-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Custom Titles: Required Reading

LOL, they are going to stop posting if you take away their custom title. lol.

Also, you aren't restricting it to the best posters of BBV, you give it to pretty much anybody who asks. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...page=0&vc=1

Old 11-25-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since it's not logged, the only way I can tell if it's 'newer' is by using my own judgment. So it won't be perfect, but I can say that a few weeks does qualify as a newer title in my mind. Also, if you have to change more than a few of these back, that's not keeping custom titles to a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan, to be fair... this is not what you said that you would do... and I certainly expect that you sent a PM to all the posters who's title you changed... or YOUR actions are no better than a Mod who didn't add a user note or explain an action to a user!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ryan, to be fair... this is not what you said that you would do...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's exactly what I said I would do.

[ QUOTE ]
and I certainly expect that you sent a PM to all the posters who's title you changed... or YOUR actions are no better than a Mod who didn't add a user note or explain an action to a user!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how many of these I changed yesterday? I thought I was being pretty nice by leaving a note in the profile of each of them, instead of just leaving it blank like the mod did. I stopped counting after about 20 members, and at that point I also seriously started thinking that we really should make custom titles as rare as different name colors. I found many, many insulting titles, and that's just not good for the site. But I'm going to give you guys a chance to adjust to the new title guidelines, and hopefully things will work out.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, they are going to stop posting if you take away their custom title. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is analagous to a company rewarding their top salesman by giving them some token like a gold pen, and then taking it back next month because they said they gave out too many and want to keep them to a minimum. It's not the actual value of the pen or the title or whatever, it's the perceived status that goes with it that makes the difference; and please don't tell me that 2p2ers don't care about the status of their titles. The uproar over you guys giving *s is a testament that people do care.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:07 PM

yeah custom titles should be cut down severely in number, kudos to ryan for getting it right.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:53 AM

I've started getting PMs about this, I'm not going to change anyone's back unless they deserve it.

Formerly my policy was a lot more liberal about them but since this started I've thought about it and decided Ryan is right.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:43 AM

I have never given anyone a custom title. I have no record to defend.

[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the OP, I will be removing newer titles that aren't logged. If you want to change it back, the solution is simple. I do believe that by doing this you guys will be encouraged to start logging these. Just remember that custom titles should be kept to a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]
This problem should be between you and the mods. Be the boss and tell the people who work for you what you expect. Then they either do it or they aren't mods anymore.

Instead you are using some of your best customers as leverage against the mods. Stripping titles without even the courtesy of an explanation? There is no excuse for putting your customers in the middle because this isn't their problem. Regardless of whether a particular title is restored or not it will never be the same. Customers may forgive bad service but they never forget.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and I certainly expect that you sent a PM to all the posters who's title you changed... or YOUR actions are no better than a Mod who didn't add a user note or explain an action to a user!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how many of these I changed yesterday? I thought I was being pretty nice by leaving a note in the profile of each of them, instead of just leaving it blank like the mod did. I stopped counting after about 20 members...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan, if you take a step back and think about it for a bit... I think you will see that your statement is the same as those given by mods who do not document user notes, or inform users of actions that impact them.

There really is no excuse for not PMing a user and letting them know you took away their custom title, and why...

If you expect Mods to follow the rules... Admins should be going above and beyond to set the right example!

btw, how many undocumented *'s did you remove... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2006, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never given anyone a custom title. I have no record to defend.

[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the OP, I will be removing newer titles that aren't logged. If you want to change it back, the solution is simple. I do believe that by doing this you guys will be encouraged to start logging these. Just remember that custom titles should be kept to a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]
This problem should be between you and the mods. Be the boss and tell the people who work for you what you expect. Then they either do it or they aren't mods anymore.

Instead you are using some of your best customers as leverage against the mods. Stripping titles without even the courtesy of an explanation? There is no excuse for putting your customers in the middle because this isn't their problem. Regardless of whether a particular title is restored or not it will never be the same. Customers may forgive bad service but they never forget.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this sentiment. I've given out maybe 3-4 custom titles in the last year and a half.

Surf
Old 11-26-2006, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

btw, how many undocumented *'s did you remove... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

None. Most of those are noted these days anyway, and I appreciate the OOT mods doing that.

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan, if you take a step back and think about it for a bit...

[/ QUOTE ]

My honest opinion is that you guys are going too far by saying that it's my responsibility to PM each and every member about these title changes. I don't believe that's ever been a guideline for anyone else (excluding the OOT and lounge title warning systems), although it wouldn't be the worst idea either. Still, since this doesn't seem to be going over very well, I'll cease removing any titles that I believe were given before this thread. I took care of quite a few already. And when I remove new ones in the future, I will PM the member. But asking me to PM as many members as I had to change all at once is, frankly, being unrealistic and a bit silly.

I'm aware that I'm not perfect, though, and if I had to do it over I would have made an announcement in AtF about this before I changed them the other day. If I have to personally take any major action again, it will be at the system level, and everyone will be notified in AtF.

StellarWind:
[ QUOTE ]
Customers may forgive bad service but they never forget.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.