Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: 3-betting light, the fish and you

The fish is a fish because he calls raises with hands much worse than AQ. The postflop play was the bad part.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps 3-betting wasn't the problem in this hand, it was the double barrel bluff vs. a calling station that was bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the combination of the two.

If you don't play well in re-raised pots, you shouldn't 3-bet that much.

In this spot, where the fish is going to call the flop with any pair, I think re-raising is very bad. The fish hadn't shown any tendencies whatsoever to either fold preflop or fold the flop to CBs (he had been in several spots where he took a small pair to the river).

I fail to see how stacking off with A-high against that player is a +EV move. While it's true this player is capable of stacking off with AJ here, it just isn't a big part of his range.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bilbo,

3betting light vs fish is indeed a bad idea. But here:

1) you have AQ, and its for value vs fish and can get TAG to fold a better hand, so its fine.

2) fish is the caller, not the raiser, I find they fold more when they didnt raise themselves

[/ QUOTE ]

what better hand is he folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

PP's for a start, plus hands with good equity vs you, plus we build up FE for the flop where he folds AK and loads of PPs

[/ QUOTE ]

I 4-bet with AK preflop nearly always against someone I suspect is 3-betting light, ESPECIALLY with the fish in the hand. I suspect I push AK fairly often.

Any PP I call with is one that I am looking to showdown with. It's true he'll get me to fold small PPs, but he also gets me to fold worse Aces, which is terrible for him, because I am very unlikely to CB the 3-way pot unimproved (since the calling station is involved), so he really wants us both to see a flop if I have something like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].