Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Re: live etiquette: he hasn\'t mucked but doesn\'t want to show \'em

lol Yup, a lot of times I'll be bluffing with J-high and when they call me, I'll flip it over and just ask "I got J-high, wtf are you calling me down with?" I think I gain enough information about the player that I don't lose anything, really. Esp considering anyone at my table can tell within half-hour - hour that I play very LAG.

Kirk
Old 08-30-2006, 12:36 PM

very risky, though. if he mucks and someone else wants to see your hand and you have mis-called it they might award your opponent the pot. bad situation to be in. just don't be a douche and everything will be fine. if you want to see his hand, say 'muck or show'. if you dont care, just table your hand or announce it correctly.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
usually he's expecting you to call your hand here, like say "a pair" or "ace high" or something. this is one of those things that I feel like people always used to do but not so much anymore. saying "show or muck" is fine but might be considered a little rude by some older players. I almost always call my hand in your spot.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds exploitable. You just claim a better hand than what you have (in this situation) and then say you misread the cards if he doesn't muck and you have to show. Especially if you've called down with ace high and you suspect he's on some small pair due to this interplay on the river; "bluffing" him into mucking would be an enormous coup.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an angleshoot. In many rooms, if you induce a muck by miscalling your hand, you will lose the pot. Obviously, people will occasionally make such a miscall purely by accident and they will let that slide but you will usually not get away with it more than once.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:11 PM

Seriously wow!
In this situation, i just say my hand...stop being a dick...this is a reason why online players get hated at live games..
Have some fun!
"I got a pair"
"I got a set"
"I got nothing"
"Alright ..u win"
watever...
Any1 will tell u its +EV to have the fish liking you, or at least not hating you.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
usually he's expecting you to call your hand here, like say "a pair" or "ace high" or something. this is one of those things that I feel like people always used to do but not so much anymore. saying "show or muck" is fine but might be considered a little rude by some older players. I almost always call my hand in your spot.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds exploitable. You just claim a better hand than what you have (in this situation) and then say you misread the cards if he doesn't muck and you have to show. Especially if you've called down with ace high and you suspect he's on some small pair due to this interplay on the river; "bluffing" him into mucking would be pathetic angle shooting .

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 08-30-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very risky, though. if he mucks and someone else wants to see your hand and you have mis-called it they might award your opponent the pot. bad situation to be in. just don't be a douche and everything will be fine. if you want to see his hand, say 'muck or show'. if you dont care, just table your hand or announce it correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I want to see his hand, otherwise I'd just announce and move on...

I find it interesting that they will take the pot away from you for misrepresenting your hand and causing the other guy to muck. Mostly because I've been taught that when you muck you can't win the pot, pretty much no matter what, even when the dealer accidentally mucks your hand.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I want to see his hand, otherwise I'd just announce and move on...

I find it interesting that they will take the pot away from you for misrepresenting your hand and causing the other guy to muck. Mostly because I've been taught that when you muck you can't win the pot, pretty much no matter what, even when the dealer accidentally mucks your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I mucked my hand because someone purposely mis-repped what they had I would either get the pot, or beat the other guy to within an inch of his life.

Either way works.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:07 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

IMO when a poker hand is in action, most forms of trickery/dishonesty are not only acceptable but within the spirit of the game (obviously cheating, collusion, angle-shooting, etc. aside).....e.g. - talking to your opponent, lying to your opponent about what you have, joking with your opponent, showing one card heads-up, etc......it's what makes the psychology of live poker fun.....

however, once SHOWDOWN occurs, all bets are off and it is important to practice etiquette and sportsmanship.....if an opponent makes a bet on the river and I call him, it is his job to do something.....mostly, he shows his cards and then I have the option to show a better hand or muck in peace...

if he doesn't want to show his hand, he can verbally (and truthfully) declare it - i.e. "I missed, I have nothing", "Ace high", "one pair".....if I can beat what he declares, I immediately turn my hand over and let him muck in peace....

bottom line is: I want the pot.....I don't want to see his hand.....if he doesn't want to show it, fine, I don't want him to be embarrassed.....I don't care what he has....a good player should know what he has anyway based on how he played the hand and what he did at showdown.....

I absolutely despise the "I Want To See That Hand" rule, and I'm glad to see a lot of the bigger Vegas poker rooms are starting to follow suit in disallowing it.....
Old 08-30-2006, 02:08 PM

I only play live, and there this is basiclly person to person. I've been told that turned over one pair and they go "oh well thats not good" and its a joke. You should just be able to feel them out, but there is nothing wrong with waiting or just flipping.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:11 PM

And just to add these responses didnt suprise me a bit from a bunch of online nits.