Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Random Starbucks rant

OP - completely standard. I think most baristas expect customers to speak Starbucks. Takes practice, but you'll get the hang of it.

Here's a recent rant (or commendation, depending on your world view) against Starbucks....well, not really against Starbucks in general, just this particular one.

Sunday morning, I went in to coach my usual chess lesson. There was a bum sleeping in one of the sofa chairs about five feet from me. My student said the bum had been there when he got in, so about ten minutes. What was even more strange is that I rarely see bums in that part of Albuquerque...I see them all the time when I'm at work downtown, but not in the Northeast Heights. They sometimes hang out outside the downtown Starbucks, but don't go in. So I told the girl at the counter about this guy. "Okay, I'll tell my manager." I doubt she did.

They let this guy sleep there for at least an hour (!!) and then they eventually did ask him to leave. Thankfully he left without incident, because he was obviously bigger than the girl they sent to kick him out. Which makes me wonder...they did have a couple guys working too...should the manager have done it herself (I'm pretty sure the manager was a girl), get a guy to do it, or send the girl (hoping the bum wouldn't start [censored] with a girl)?

I'd think that most Starbucks (and other establishments) would kick him out almost immediately or once someone told them about it. I don't know if they just didn't care, or what...they were kinda busy, but not too busy to kick the guy out. One of the regulars I know there couldn't believe it. Of course, the bum fell asleep in the regular's favorite chair.....when the bum left, the regular refused to sit in that chair. Oh well.

Other than that, the service at that Starbucks has been excellent.

ScottieK
Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 PM

Old 05-01-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, unlike almost everywhere else in the service industry, Starbucks employees are almost universally polite and always say 'thank you.'

[/ QUOTE ]

good point!

the employees also look somewhat clean most of the time, and they seem to have a lower % of fat people working than dunkin donuts.

sucker, the 'grande' comment by the baristo was lame, i admit.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:28 PM

sublime,

The only explanation I can think of for this "rant" is that Sucker has been in school for his entire life and now that he's finally entering the real world has little clue about what to expect in situations outside a university campus.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sublime,

The only explanation I can think of for this "rant" is that Sucker has been in school for his entire life and now that he's finally entering the real world has little clue about what to expect in situations outside a university campus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a real problem with people who spend their entire lives in academia and never experience the real world. Especially people teaching undergraduate business courses who have never been in the business world. I took a 100 level management class at Cornell once and the professor who taught it had a Ph.D but had never had a real job. He majored in management at the undergraduate level, and went on to get a master's and Ph.D in business administration, then started teaching right away. It was pathetic.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:35 PM

Scottie,

They should have kicked him out immediately. The chick was probably the shift on duty, but whenever I was a barista, and the shift lead was a chick, I was more than happy to do the kicking out for her. Its probably just that the people in the NE Heights don't have any experience kicking out the bums.

When I worked at the store on Central, right off of campus, I made a habit of kicking out bums. We also had police nonemergency on speed dial, because - as you know - they're very prevalant in that area. We had a few regular bums; one of them always carried around a calculator, and muttered to himself. Apparently, a partner went to kick him out one day, and he flipped, started screaming, and put his hand through one of our plate glass windows. I wasn't there to see it, and the glass was fixed by the time I got to work a few days later, but the people I worked with swear it was true.

Irrelevant, really, but I felt like sharing the story. I think we need to quit hijacking this thread; perhaps I'll make an ask me thread when I get back from the park with my gf!

Lol.

yasher
Old 05-01-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sublime,

[/ QUOTE ]

diablo-

do you think the opposite is true? for example, i never even made it to the 9th grade and seem to be a man who understands the world and the people that inhabit it to a much higher degree than the average 20 something male. you would never see me complain about being asked questions about my food order!
Old 05-01-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sublime,

[/ QUOTE ]

diablo-

do you think the opposite is true? for example, i never even made it to the 9th grade and seem to be a man who understands the world and the people that inhabit it to a much higher degree than the average 20 something male. you would never see me complain about being asked questions about my food order!

[/ QUOTE ]

not diablo but I think that you understand it more because you probably had to start at the bottom so you appreciate the people on the bottom rungs of the economic ladder more, whereas a lot of ivory tower Ph.D's were probably born upper middle class and haven't had to work for as much stuff as you. I never would have guessed that you dropped out in 9th grade from your posts. You're smarter than a lot of people I know that have graduated college.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:42 PM

I am a total Starbucks whore (even though Schultz is in the middle of trying to [censored] the Sonics up as fast as he can). After months of anticipation, a new one opened up within walking distance of my office about 6 weeks ago. Woohoo!

My new fav drink- Venti unsweetened Shaken Black Iced Tea with 2 pumps of blackberry syrup (normal serving is 4 pumps). Very refreshing, with just a hint of sweetness. They really need to put it on the menu as a regular option. I will take stock in exchange for my awesome drink inventing prowess.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 PM

Oh, I get it. The OP is doing a standup act from 15 years ago.