Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-18-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Pooh Bah Post(Warning: Long)

How do you get a poker coach.? I live in Portland, Oregon.

Thanks,

Luhroy
Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 AM

How do you get a poker coach.? I live in Portland, Oregon.

Thanks,

Luhroy
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Frond, Thanks for the post. I noticed from other posts that you play at HG. How did you move up? I have been playing for about 8 months now. I started at 2-4 LHE at HG and now play 3-6: the 3-6 tables are often a bit tighter. What is there to gain moving to 4-8?

Interesting 3-6 hand at HG (loose table), but one guy was using maniac style and racking chips. I am on button with JTs. All limp to me, and I raise. Maniac in MP re-raises and we are heads up. I make pair of tens on the flop and we march to the river w/ 2-bets on each street. He shows K-high and loses to my pair. The spectators were stunned. Older woman says "why you raise with JT?" I shrug my shoulders.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 PM

Hey mwette, I too started playing those 2/4 tables there last year and I found it really hard to make anything. For a few reasons: I stunk, I didn't know what I was doing much at all(I am still learning), the rake and tips being big ones also. Same with the 3/6. I didn't start to become any kind of a winning player till I jumped up to the 4/8 and started taking $100+ shots at it. I was posting here a lot more, playing, reading, studying, asking a ton of what must have been pretty mundane questions etc. That helped out a ton.

So as to what there is to gain from moving up to 4/8 from where you are now, everything if your roll can handle it. Even if it can't completely, you should be hitting it with at least a rack or more and test the water IMO. You'll be surprised as to how good all the games are there. You will easily be one of the better players I'm sure. Obviously it is better to buy into those games with 2 racks at a minimum but I am all for buying in for a rack and checking the games out. If you do buy in for 2 racks you'll be alone. Nobody at HG buys in for more than 1 rack except for a few of us 2+2ers who play there. Half of them buy in for less than a rack it seems as well. Anyways, the 4/8 there is a half kill game so just be aware if you are taking a shot for just a rack, that it can go quick if you are in a kill pot that is playing 6/12 and there is a lot action etc. The first few times I played it it was noticeably a bit more agressive and a bit wild at times so I wasn't prepared for going to flop for 2-3 bets at one particular session. If you are not sure about it, just buy into the game and play really tight just to see how the game goes. You will notice how much bigger the pots are compared to the 3/6 game. Da rake effect.

Good luck

PS. I keep waiting for the games to get tougher the higher I play and it hasn't happened yet.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 PM

Thanks. I will try out the 4-8 next time.
I usually wear a black "PIXAR" baseball cap.
Say hi if you see me.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:04 AM

Sounds cool. I'll PM you.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

PS. I keep waiting for the games to get tougher the higher I play and it hasn't happened yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's just fish with more money.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Looking back I was nervous moving to 4/8. Moving to 8/16 I wasn't as nervous. Highest I've played so far is the Commerce 9/18. Not really that nervous. I want to hit the HG 15/30 some time next year. Funny but going from 3/6 to 4/8 I was the most nervous but when I saw the players at each higher limit I felt a lot better about my own play.