Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Sleuth (Spoilers)

Anyone else seen the Caine/Law remake of the Olivier/Caine classic? I went last night and was pretty impressed, especially as I had very low expectations going in (didn't like Law, thought the reworking of it would detract from the original which I loved). Some random thoughts/observations -

- Caine - not a lot to be said. Masterful.
- Law - really enjoyed his performances in the first and second acts. Not as good as Caine's Milo in the original, but still well thought out and intelligent enough imo. At first I thought his third act performance was very overacted and overly dramatic, but the more I thought about it the more I think it makes sense for the character. Milo is an actor to be fair, and this is a battle of two very egotistical, proud and ostentatious men. To play him like Law did is not the most obvious way to play it but I think it is a very valid interpretation.
- The twist - well done imo. I definitely could not have figured it out if I hadn't watched the original first. I liked the fact they created an actor for the credits of the first film (Only Law and Caine were credited in this one), but this will only affect people watching this fresh.
- The house. Eugh. Retardedly ugly, especially the downstairs. It makes for quite a grim and claustrophobic setting, but I have a gut reaction to it. Maybe its just because I hate that type of modern interior design.
- The 'offer' in act 3. Was Caine being serious? I have my thoughts on this but am interested to hear others.