Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Books: What are you reading tonight?

[ QUOTE ]
Supposedly a great(but abridged) audiobook on this with some tremendous performances on it. Sorta torn about giving it a shot -- on the one hand I hate abridgements and on the other hand, if you look at the raves on audible.com for this, it makes it sound like it was a huge success anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's any book that would be great on audio, this is it, as it's 99% monologue.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 AM

Speaking of, do any of you guys know anything about audiobooks? Sometimes I see an interesting combo of novel + actor, but I've never actually listened to one.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of, do any of you guys know anything about audiobooks? Sometimes I see an interesting combo of novel + actor, but I've never actually listened to one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can try audible.com for a really reasonable price. I'd suggest looking for things that are especially good for that format. Dom's talking about the zombie book is a perfect example -- horror is so much about atmosphere that it's perfect for a good reading. Also good are biographies. Gene Wilder's and Julia Child's are two I bought and am looking forward to, when I stop working to midnight and 12-hour holidays. :P
Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 PM

I absolutely love this thread. I particularly like when someone says what they're reading and then come back with a minireview later. Yay.

World War Z is really high on my list of "to read" books. I need to get to it a little quicker it seems after some more rave reviews.

I'm currently reading Wicked (finally) and after that I plan to start I Am Legend. Gotta read one of the greatest vampire stories before going to see Will Smith all buff.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Heh if I were you I'd see the movie first so I don't get disappointed. The book was really good -- quite bleak too -- but there have been rumors going around for a while that the movie isn't so hot. And I'm not sure how bleak the Fresh Prince can play.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh if I were you I'd see the movie first so I don't get disappointed. The book was really good -- quite bleak too -- but there have been rumors going around for a while that the movie isn't so hot. And I'm not sure how bleak the Fresh Prince can play.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus, they changed the locale from L.A. to New York! That changes everything. In L.A., the protagonist has to keep exploring an ever widening circle from his home in order to gather food, supplies and kill vampires during the day. The city is laid out flat - not one big high-rise. In New York, you wouldn't think it'd be that difficult to just shore up and batten the hatches.

I'll go see this but I know I'm going to be disappointed.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Yeah, and L.A.'s geography has a certain anomie even before people have turned into vampires explicitly.