Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 05:23 AM

Default different ranking between NLHE and LHE

It is well-known in many literature that we can find the ranking in no-limit hole cards. Obviously, AA, KK, AKs, QQ, ...

I wonder the above ranking will NOT be same in three different cases in NLHE, LHE and short game. Any reference??? Book name is fine.

Thanks in advance. -Jay
Old 11-11-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Re: different ranking between NLHE and LHE

suited connectors and low pp gain value in NL compared with limit, but the top hands are the same.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 AM

NL hand rankings are too dependent on the implied odds your opponents offer. In geneneral suited connectors and the small pp gain a lot of value, and I would say AQ plays a lot differently (worse) in NL.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 AM

Don't Cloutier and McEvoy, in their book 'Texas Hold Em Tournament Hands' (or something similar to that name) say that you should be much more willing to play low pp and suited connectors in pot limit games? The reason being that you have more chance to get reasonable calling odds in the later rounds of betting and it is less likely that you will be raised out of the pot pre-flop. I may be entirely wrong. Either way, that particular book is well worth reading as a comparison between the way different hands play in different forms of texas hold em.

I think hand rankings in NL shift about quite a lot depending on your chip situation. Deep stacked, your suited connectors etc gain massive value. This is more evident with NL than it is in limit because, like you say, the implied odds are much greater.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:45 PM

The value of a hand, in and of itself, is static..AA will always be better than 9,8 suited. But add in some different variables and 9,8s can gain in value, enough so that is profitable to play (give me 4:1 and I'll take 9,8 against your AA)

Now, if your talking about starting hand requirements then thats something different. I can't recall seeing a starting hand chart for NL bacause of so many variables, one being implied odds, that aren't there in a limit game. In limit, due to the nature of the betting structure, it is possible to define ones expectation, for a specific hand in a specific position. Thus a starting hand chart can be created for limt.

Don't know if this answers your question, but I don't have anything better to do right now.

Good Luck