Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Wii, 360, or PS3?

[ QUOTE ]
but the ps3, while having the best hardware,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, as it is true im some respects: has bluray and low failure rate, but the actual gaming processor is not as good as the 360 for gaming.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, as it is true im some respects: has bluray and low failure rate, but the actual gaming processor is not as good as the 360 for gaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 360 having a "better" processor is totally inaccurate.
COD4's reviews have shown that the ps3 version is superior to the 360's version
Old 11-05-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the 360 having a "better" processor is totally inaccurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

COD4's reviews have shown that the ps3 version is superior to the 360's version

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently metacritic has 2 reviews up for the 360 version and zero for the PS3 version. Gamespot doesn't have any reviews up for CoD4 yet. IGN has both the 360 and PS3 versions at 9.4.

Provide some links or STFU you silly troll.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought that the ps3 had more power under the hood than the 360 although I have heard that the xbox is much easier to program for. This is the reason cross platform games come out better on 360. I myself own the 360 and can't think of any reason I'd rather have a ps3.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 PM

360 is easier to program for.

Everything I have heard has said that PS3 is better in processing power measurements like flops(which are basically irrelevant for gaming), but suffers from bandwidth issues(which is extremely improtant for gaming). In researching just now though, the numbers I could find all looked very similar so now I'm not so sure.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'Old' Game Informers, huh... Mass Effect comes out later this month, Halo, Orange Box, & Bioshock all came out in the 2nd year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what your point is, right now the 360 library blows everything else out of the water. I'm hoping Sony/Nintendo catch up. The point is, that's 4 great recent games that have been released for the 360. And Sony doesn't have the third party advantage it did last generation, as most of the great third party titles are going to come out for 360 and PS3. Right now, (unless you have the money for 3 systems) it doesn't make sense as a gamer to pick the PS3 over the 360.

All systems will have some great first party offerings (360 with Halo, Gears of War, etc., Sony with Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Nintendo with Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda). What hurts Sony in the long run is the PS2 had so many 3rd party exclusives that gamers wanted (GTA, Devil May Cry, etc.) It just doesn't have that advantage this generation. I'm by no means a 360 fanboy, I'd much rather have Sony and Nintendo be successful. The best games are on the 360 right now, and it looks like the future won't be that much different (with a few exceptions). Sony has a lot of work to do..

As for the Wii, it just doesn't impress right now. As cheap as it is, it's probably worth owning just for the Nintendo games that will come out for it. I just wish the third parties weren't looking to cash in with "novel" controls and crappy games. Nintendo consoles are always going to be worth having IMO because Nintendo alone will release so many amazing games. I just hope eventually it gets real third party support, not just in terms of having games that cash in on how much Wii is selling, but actual fun titles with more than motion controls tacked on.

The PS3 has more power, it definitely has the juice to do things that the 360 won't be able to do. Right now though, it doesn't have anything that looks better than some of the 360's finest offerings. It's extremely likely that almost all third party games that come out for both systems will look identical as well. If Sony's first party games can tap the power of the PS3, then it will have the ability to have the best "looking" games. Just hasn't been done yet, like blackize has been saying.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought that the ps3 had more power under the hood than the 360 although I have heard that the xbox is much easier to program for. This is the reason cross platform games come out better on 360. I myself own the 360 and can't think of any reason I'd rather have a ps3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like blackize mentioned, the PS3 outperforms the 360 only in theoretical peek FLOPS, FLoating Point Operations Per Second. This doesn't really mean a whole lot in the real world though, since a game is alot different than just multiplying a huge stream of precomputed perfectly parallizable floating point values - which is how they would obtain their peak theoretical FLOPS values.

There's not alot to say about that. It really just doesn't mean anything at all, but it's the basis of all the prerelease PS3 hype about its processing 'advantage'. It's also not like if you just had sufficiently skilled programmers they could get games exploiting the advantage in FLOPS, it's just not relevant.

A [terrible] analogy would be a guy who could hit a baseball further than anybody else, but only if it was thrown in exactly one particular fashion by exactly one particular pitcher at one particular stadium and only in one 5 second frame and it also had to be one particular baseball as well. If any of those conditions weren't met, he just reverted to being an average batter. He might have the potential to hit the ball further than anybody else, but he's not going to be winning any homerun derbies. The best batting coaches in the world aren't going to be able to help him if he needs all those conditions to be able to do his thing.

Anyhow, that's in regards to the processing power. As far as the graphics cards go, the 360's is superior by just about any metric.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:07 AM

afaik neither system has any kind of advantage in processor or graphics card that will really be noticeable.
It's not like the differences in the xbox and ps2. The xbox really had a huge advantage and certain game couldn't be cross platformed to the ps2 or cross platform games were dummed down for the ps2 making xbox owners suffer with inferior graphics.