Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-04-2007, 01:44 PM

Default A Possible missed Slowplay

This one may qualify for a slowplay but then again maybe not. From a few weeks ago

8/16 live. My image is tight, only showing down big hands in the last hour.

Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and raises, UTG1(plays too many hands too far)calls, folded to CO(plays way too loose pre and post) who calls, rest all fold. 3 ways to the flop.

(6.5 SBs) Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero leads out and both fold [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

My thinking here was that the way these 2 players were just calling all the time that they would call me but now I think that with a 3 way pot with a monster hand here in a small pot that I could have better afforded to let them possibly catch up a bit and wait to the turn to bet out.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: A Possible missed Slowplay

If your ever going to try it in small stakes this is it.The problem is with your tight image its pretty obvious. To be honest I usually bet this with these type of opponents because they called 2 cold pf so they must like something about their hand.If your lucky someone has the last A or a pp and will call you down.It isn't likely that anyone will pick up a draw on the turn, and its more likely they'll fold to the bigger bet with only 1 card to come. I'd also show this and maybe get some bluff value when an A hits and everyone shows weakness.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:24 PM

this situation usually sets up one of two ways. you are going to get action or you aren't. this may sound simplistic, but either they are holding a hand that they are going to give action or they are folding. if they have a pp it's around 4-5% that they catch on the turn. if they have two unpaired cards it's about 13%(each) that they catch on the turn. factor in that they might pick up a backdoor draw of some sort and these %s might increase.

but this brings us back to my original point. fish incorrectly peel with only a backdoor draw most of the time anyway so if they have one they'll often call the flop bet. so pretty much it depends on how loose a peeler they are. some players peel most flops so if they are that type you might be better off betting.

overall, i don't really think it matters. unless they boat up on the turn you aren't getting alot of bets in. so since the pot isn't big and you have a monster i don't see a huge problem or benefit from checking the flop.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:24 PM

Frond - UTG in a live game this is a red flag for A's in your opponents minds. I am not a fan of most slowplays but you dont have much of a choice here - this is rare spot that calls for fancy play.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:59 PM

I'm kind of the mind that they're either going to pay you or not. Maybe letting a card comes off helps. I guess I usually bet. Perhaps I shouldn't do that.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:39 PM

I contemplated a SP here but the way that these two had been playing(I mean calling)I figured I'd just bet out and see what happens. I should have however tried the SP out I think. See if they could catch something at least. No biggie I guess.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this situation usually sets up one of two ways. you are going to get action or you aren't. this may sound simplistic, but either they are holding a hand that they are going to give action or they are folding. if they have a pp it's around 4-5% that they catch on the turn. if they have two unpaired cards it's about 13%(each) that they catch on the turn. factor in that they might pick up a backdoor draw of some sort and these %s might increase.

but this brings us back to my original point. fish incorrectly peel with only a backdoor draw most of the time anyway so if they have one they'll often call the flop bet. so pretty much it depends on how loose a peeler they are. some players peel most flops so if they are that type you might be better off betting.

overall, i don't really think it matters. unless they boat up on the turn you aren't getting alot of bets in. so since the pot isn't big and you have a monster i don't see a huge problem or benefit from checking the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much my thoughts.

If someone bets I wouldn't raise though, unless you think the flop bettor almost has to have 3x.