Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: A Snowy Vacation Home.. Where Should it Be?

[ QUOTE ]
Arizona. It fits your needs and is less expensive than most places in Colorado.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no airport near Sunrise and the one in Flagstaff near Snow Bowl doesn't really count.

On balance, it has better snow than most places though.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 AM

grunching, does the ability to play on party make a canadian location any more attractive?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 AM

I agree with Pig4Bill about Telluride, but it depends upon your wants. You will have excellent skiing, prettier scenery, imo, as well as a more laid back vibe than the fancier, ritzier resorts. But unlike Vail or the Summit resorts, or Tahoe, you won't have as good of nightlife, (if by "nightlife" you mean clubs).

I live fairly close to there, and my Realtor friend says that you can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 900 square foot attractive condo for 500k.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 AM

wow the pics in this thread have me excited for snow season.

Definitely check out the Tahoe area. I really have no idea of price ranges of houses there, but one of the benefits of buying in tahoe is that the whole area is beautiful with a ton of stuff to do year round. In the summer all the resorts open up to mountain biking, theres water skiing and jet skiing, and other watersports, tons of hiking and camping and miles of bike paths, plus river rafting. Also one of the resorts (I think Squaw) has a giant bungee jump tower right on the edge of a huge cliff. I would assume most resorts also have golf courses (only know for a fact that squaw does)

Tons of young people live in the area, especially in the winter when people come in to work at all the resorts, there's nightlife and good food, but you could definitely find somewhere nice and quiet too. Check out the area near Tahoe city/homewood; it's close to squaw/alpine/northstar and theres a wide variety of places both on the lake itself, and back in the forest more. Also remember that with a place close to good skiing, you will always be able to rent it out when you aren't using it.

If anyone is ever up in the Tahoe area, there's a tiny restaurant called Evan's where I had the best meal I've ever eaten.

Lake Tahoe in the summer:
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 AM

N Lake Tahoe is great - hate to say it, because my fondest wish is that people would stop moving here and [censored] it up. I live in Reno due to my job - if I was younger and not locked in to it, I'd be living at the North Shore.

Reno is about 45 minutes away, but the airport is nothing like DFW or Denver - you can drive up, park, and be at your gate in 30 - 45 minutes unless it's a busy weekend. Flying in, I'm in my car and driving within 20-30 minutes of the plane hitting the ground.

Drawbacks - You can fly to Chicago, Denver, LA and Dallas nonstop, but that's about it (Bout 30 flights a day to Vegas, tho)
- restaurant scene is improving, but not up to big metro standards.
- skiing, per my wife, is not quite as good as the Rockies (I help put skiiers back together, so I don't ski) - but it's still pretty good.

Feel free to PM me - I've been living here for 15 yrs.....

MM MD
Old 10-30-2007, 03:59 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Raptor is looking into Park City right now. I read a couple of short comments about it, but nothing very strong either way. I know nothing about it.

Does anyone have more to say about Park City?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have more to say about Park City?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great skiing.

Not really that ski resort mountain village feel to me.

Online poker is illegal in Utah.

fairly ez to get to.

I prefer, Jackson Hole, but its hell to get in and out of, you may want to look north to canada. Banff is awesome 45-60 west of Calgary, ask Devon.

How you been?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 PM

My suggestion to dave (which he shot down because "It's Idaho, and Jman would never go for it cause it's 80 miles from the airport") was Sandpoint, Idaho. Ski resort 11 miles from town, 4 local golf courses, sits on a massive natural lake for summer activities, and a 4 bedroom 3 bath house on 5 acres in the woods can still be had for 400kish.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My suggestion to dave (which he shot down because "It's Idaho, and Jman would never go for it cause it's 80 miles from the airport") was Sandpoint, Idaho. Ski resort 11 miles from town, 4 local golf courses, sits on a massive natural lake for summer activities, and a 4 bedroom 3 bath house on 5 acres in the woods can still be had for 400kish.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont wanna drive 2 hours to airport either. but yes it does seem super nice.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:20 PM

I also love Tahoe BUT its scary as hell driving around there with snow on the ground. The roads are very narrow and the drops are >1000 feel with no guard rails....I'd pass on that.

Indy