Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Help Me Make a Fitness Bet, Please.

Thanks guys. The bet is mostly booked, but I could still use more help finding food.

Anything decent at http://unos.com/ or at chinese places?

Looks like jimmy johns has a low carb option where they just wrap your sandwich in lettuce instead of bread. Sounds a little unappealing, but probably will be good for me.

How good/bad is it to eat cheerios and 1% milk for breakfast, and tuna in a bowl with like 1/2 a serving of mayo for lunch, then another bowl of cereal for a snack, then order something for dinner?

I'm basically asking if cheerios and 1% milk is an ok healthy meal, even if I eat like 2 bowls of it. I know tuna is pretty healthy, even with the little bit of mayo, right?

[ QUOTE ]
are you hsp jman or other jman? aren't there different ones. if you are hsp jman you didn't look that out of shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm HSP Jman. Thanks. I'm not obese or anything. I just am very inactive, and I used to be in very good shape once upon a time. I'm probably 15 lbs heavier than I should be.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Eat whatever you want, Just keep the content ideally. ("Im on a diet i cant eat pizza" People who say that i laugh in there face.)
Old 10-29-2007, 12:48 PM

I'd do the fitness course for the prop bet. It sounds like a fun challenge, and you'll get to test endurance, strength and general fitness level, not just pure strength like testing the benchpress or whatever.

As for getting healthy, there's a ton of ways but there's one thing common to all of them: eat healthy and exercise regularly.

To build muscle you eat at a caloric excess and lift weights. To lose weight you eat at a caloric deficit and exercise. Either do a ton of cardio or lift to increase your metabolism. Diet always has to come first though.

As for eating healthy there's a ton of stuff in the FAQ's but here are some highlights.

Eat multiple times a day (5-8 meals). This will ensure that your body always has energy to burn and to build muscle. It distributes your energy intake evenly over the day so the body won't have as much excess calories that it will try to convert to fat.

Eat protein to build muscle, and fat and carbs for energy. 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, 1/3 fat is a good mix, but there's no nead to get religious. For building mass you need about 1.5g of protein for each lb of body weight. Remember that every ounce of fat is 4x more calorically dense than protein or carbs, so although 10g of fat doesn't sound like much it can be a lot of calories. The difference in eating a sandwich with or without mayo can be pretty staggering.

Eat good carbs and good fat. Try to limit animal fats and highly processed carbs. Fatty meats, fried food, most fast food (hamburgers, fries, pizza, mexican, chinese), white bread and pasta are all pretty bad.

Dead animal carcas is good (chicken, fish, lean-cuts of beef and to a lesser extent pork), veggies are good, fruits are good but don't go nuts with them cause they have a lot of sugar (the good kind though), potatoes and yams, brown rice and whole wheat pasta. Most sauces are bad except mustard, hot-sauce and natural salsa. Nuts and seeds are good but very calorically dense. Natural peanut butter is the same.

Rice cakes are awful, soy protein is bad and fruit juice is bad. Chips, candy, cakes and soda is bad, diet-soda is fine . Coffe and tea is good but skip the cream/milk. Non-fat/skim milk is fine but kinda depends on the person.

Regarding your breakfast, cheerios has a lot of highly processed grains and isn't optimal. It will shoot up your blood-sugar levels which stimulates fat storage, and then come crashing down which will give you cravings. At least it's not loaded with sugar like most other cereals though. Most breakfast cereals are considered breakfast candy in the fitness world.

Good old plain oats is your best bet for a good carb breakfast. Just eat em raw with skim milk. Eggs are great too. Make an ommelet with 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites for a great start to the day (add veggies to taste).

Yoghurt is good and cottage cheese is good.

I've rambled enough, just hit me up with more questions if you like.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 PM

we did our fitness championships based upon %-age of body weight.

bench at 75%, curls at %25, and then did max reps within 2 minutes.

then, simply add a mile or 2 mile run or both.
best time wins.

we also added cals, like push-ups and pull-ups.

i like the %-age thing for your bets because it takes
into account that you might be 5'4" and your buddy is 6'10".
Old 10-30-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Looks like jimmy johns has a low carb option where they just wrap your sandwich in lettuce instead of bread. Sounds a little unappealing, but probably will be good for me.

How good/bad is it to eat cheerios and 1% milk for breakfast, and tuna in a bowl with like 1/2 a serving of mayo for lunch, then another bowl of cereal for a snack, then order something for dinner?

I'm basically asking if cheerios and 1% milk is an ok healthy meal, even if I eat like 2 bowls of it. I know tuna is pretty healthy, even with the little bit of mayo, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jman, I think the problem some might have with cheerios and milk is that there isn't that much protein in that sort of meal. It's best to eat protein regularly with each meal to keep your metabolism moving normally and keep you from feeling hungry too soon. If you really want to eat that, you should add some nuts or have a little turkey sausage or a couple eggs with the cereal for bfast. If you want to be extra low maintenance on the food, look at NutriSystem or any of the similar meal delivery programs. Ridiculously simple, good food, however it is kinda pricey. Good luck with your bet.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jman, I think the problem some might have with cheerios and milk is that there isn't that much protein in that sort of meal. It's best to eat protein regularly with each meal to keep your metabolism moving normally and keep you from feeling hungry too soon. If you really want to eat that, you should add some nuts or have a little turkey sausage or a couple eggs with the cereal for bfast. If you want to be extra low maintenance on the food, look at NutriSystem or any of the similar meal delivery programs. Ridiculously simple, good food, however it is kinda pricey. Good luck with your bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think nutrisystem might be a little out of his budget
Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tuna in a bowl with like 1/2 a serving of mayo for lunch

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about this also. I just bought some tuna, which in the past I've always let swim in mayonnaise. Is a little bit of low-fat mayo ok? If not mayo, what is a good substitute? Do people just have it plain?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM

Mayo is bad.

I believe tuna in oil is fine. Or you could get tuna in water, throw it in a bowl with some rabbit food and pour olive oil over it.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

best time wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the increased workload for the 6'10" guy because of his longer limbs, especially for the bench-press?

It's very hard to find a "fair" fitness test. If it's just the motivation you're looking for then pretty much any of these are good.

If you really want to win the prop then the old adage is always true: "The competition is won in the negotiation"
Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

best time wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the increased workload for the 6'10" guy because of his longer limbs, especially for the bench-press?

It's very hard to find a "fair" fitness test. If it's just the motivation you're looking for then pretty much any of these are good.

If you really want to win the prop then the old adage is always true: "The competition is won in the negotiation"

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I guess. It's just how we did it in our fitness
competitions. Seemed better to go for max reps at an agreed
upon percentage then, say, just max weight. Typically, the
bigger guys are stronger and would win most "max weight"
weight lifting competitions.