Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Question about Small Stakes Hold\'em (sklanksky, miller, malmuth)

In the preflop section they have some starting hand guides, most of them look pretty standard and this is going to be the donkest question ever but my question is this: in the charts they give a list of hands to play or raise from each position, when they say to play they mean to limp with this hand but they do not go into further detail about if you are to call raises wiht it from those in later position. Is it safe to say they assume you will calll at least one raise but probably fold for 2 if your hand was not worth raising PF?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Question about Small Stakes Hold\'em (sklanksky, miller, malmuth)

This question is too general.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM

When SSSH says play it means call. They also have suggestions how to play against a raise. I don't see why you think they don't go into detail about this? Isn't there a "against a raise" paragraph for each position in the preflopchart in your edition of SSSH?

Anyway if you play shorthanded you shouldn't use the chart in SSSH. Use stox or similar chart instead.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway if you play shorthanded you shouldn't use the chart in SSSH. Use stox or similar chart instead and adapt this chart with the game, your stats on PT and your insight. .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When SSSH says play it means call. They also have suggestions how to play against a raise. I don't see why you think they don't go into detail about this? Isn't there a "against a raise" paragraph for each position in the preflopchart in your edition of SSSH?

Anyway if you play shorthanded you shouldn't use the chart in SSSH. Use stox or similar chart instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes they had a section for agains't a raise, reraise, ect. but they want you to limp from EP with some hands and my question is do they suggest you call anything when it gets back to you or fold depending on the action.

also where can I find the charts you are talking about?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes they had a section for agains't a raise, reraise, ect. but they want you to limp from EP with some hands and my question is do they suggest you call anything when it gets back to you or fold depending on the action.

also where can I find the charts you are talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

aha you mean when you limped and then it's a raise and a reraise? Well you shouldn't openlimp in shorthanded so that isn't a problem. If you play FR and limp from EP all hand is worth playing for 1 more bet and many for 2 bets since there is now a lot of bets in the pot.

There is a preflopchart in Stoxtraders book winning in tough hold'em games you should check out.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway if you play shorthanded you shouldn't use the chart in SSSH. Use stox or similar chart instead and adapt this chart with the game, your stats on PT and your insight. .

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is good advice to a novice at sh-limit. I don't think he should adapt the chart very much in the beginning.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 PM

that book was written for and the stuff in it applies mostly to full ring (9-11 players) live poker games.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is good advice to a novice at sh-limit. I don't think he should adapt the chart very much in the beginning.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest I've been playing for awhile and I'm not a beginer by any means, I just had a question about what they really meant when they said "play" becuase at first time I had a hard time believing they wanted me to open limp as you said, but then again it is based for full ring against fishy players so that is why I wanted to ask here to clarify and gain any other insight.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest I've been playing for awhile and I'm not a beginer by any means, I just had a question about what they really meant when they said "play" becuase at first time I had a hard time believing they wanted me to open limp as you said, but then again it is based for full ring against fishy players so that is why I wanted to ask here to clarify and gain any other insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well until you've read stoxtraders book I think you should regard yourself a beginner in SH-limit...