Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned because I don't have a free 5 hours to read all the posts, but to the people who are saying "just cuz someone won a huge tournament, you think you should get paid extra" consider this. When you take your old lady to Denny's and get a couple grand slams and an OJ, you leave 3-4 bucks on your 16 dollar check. A few nights later you go to the fancy restaurant in your town and you get lobster or duck or whatever and you rack up a nice 130 dollar tab. You of course tip the server 20-35 dollars. Why? All they did was take your order, bring your food and drinks and check up on you once or twice? Why do they deserve 5 to 10 times the tip when they did the exact same job as the Denny's server? If you said because you are at a higher class place or because you can "afford" it, then you're right. Same goes with the WSOP. The dealers there (for the sake of this argument) are the cream of the crop and you can certainly afford it now so shouldn't these dealers get the "fancy restaurant" tip. Dealing the WSOP ME and dealing the 11am $30 dollar tourney at O'Sheas are "techincally" the same job, just like bringing someone a plate of food. Just because one plate has lobster on it and the other plate has a 3.99 breakfast that may or may not give you hepatitis, doesn't change the job duties.

So yes, if you don't leave 3-4 dollars in the nice restaurant, than you should tip big at the WSOP ME.

I know a lot of poker players who tip great in restaurants and stiff dealers all day long. These are the same people saying a chimp can deal cards. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone (that has done both) that thinks dealing is easier than serving.

Also, this analogy has nothing to do with the vig/management/union/ debate. If you wanna argue that they were already tipped, I'm with you. This was more for the people suggesting the size of the win should have no impact on the size of the tip.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:49 AM

Guys, it's been 2 months, let this die. You can start up a new soap box next year. There is nothing anyone can possibly offer up that hasn't been posted to death over the past 5 years on here.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 PM

I just threw up in my mouth, just a little bit.
Closed Thread