Check 4 5.48%
1/3 6 8.22%
1/2 25 34.25%
Push 38 52.05%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: 2007 Toronto Blue Jays Thread

[ QUOTE ]
JP is horrible. He should learn to move the Jays out of a division with the best two teams in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]
The NL Central could do with another mediocre team.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this Year 7 of the 5-year plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

The plan was to have a playoff caliber team. They do. They're not the Royals.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway Frank Thomas was such a bad decision and could be seen from a mile away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that his production-per-$ is pretty high relative to the other free agents that signed in his FA class. I don't see how this was a terrible signing.

[ QUOTE ]
Why pay $10 million for another right handed power bat when the money should have went to pitching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember any pitchers that were signing for $10 million per, I remember Zito going for a hundred bajillion dollars and Lilly being priced too high. You can't just say "they should have got a pitcher". You can't buy what's not on the market.

[ QUOTE ]
With the money Ted Rogers is shelling out I'm pretty surprised we haven't come close to a playoff spot yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jays are 17th in payroll in MLB. 8 teams go to the playoffs. They're 14th in wins per $ payroll. They're nothing obvious in there wins/payroll profile to suggest they should be in the playoffs but somehow have been "mismanaged" out of the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't necessarily say sign a pitcher for $10 million, I just said that $10 mil should have gone to pitching. Whether it's one guy, or a few relievers, it should have been spent on that IMO. Our hitting was so good in 2006 that it didn't need an improvement. Our biggest problem in '06 was our bullpen, and although they pitched well this year I don't see it lasting. I think Lilly was gone due to the incident with Gibbons but a guy like Meche could have been signed (I know he was considering Toronto). You said that no pitchers signed for $10 mil, well Meche signed for $11M per and that's the current price for good starting pitching.

If no one signed with us, then use the money for next year. I really think this was a panic move by JP after he couldn't get what he wanted. Another right handed power bat, who had been injured constantly in recent years for 2/$20M just doesn't do it for me.

Also J.P's plan was not to have a "playoff-caliber" team in 5 years, it was to have a contender. I would love to see a quote where J.P. says "In 5 years, we hope to have a team that is capable of a playoff birth"...LOOOOOOOL
Old 09-18-2007, 04:55 AM

Chicago sports fan here who always appreciated Frank Thomas; wanted to give this thread a bump in honor of his big three HR night. I know his 1.000+ OPS days are far behind him, and that he hasn't consistently come through for you guys this year, but on the whole I don't think he's been a total bust, and I'm glad he's driving a stake through the heart of the last few people who still argue against his HOF legitimacy.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:50 PM

Bump...

Lets play spoiler and beat the yankees now with a mix of our backups and AAA players.