Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 PM

Default What should my lifting routine be?

I used to mostly do 5x5 3 days a week, normally 2 push, 2 pull, and 2 of squat/dl/lunge... I was increasing in size and eating more and was probably gaining both lbm and fat....over the summer I was in vegas and traveling and my work outs stopped as did my attention to good foods. I'm trying to get back on the wagon and have a nice amount of fat I'd like to lose. The food part isn't an issue as I'm back to eating healthy and consciously trying to maintain a slight negative intake each day. I'd rather lose all the fat and be cut then gain more lbm... I'm thinking 5x5 might be too much towards the size spectrum...I'd like to stimulate my CNS and get stronger way before I need more mass to lift more weight... I'd also like to stick to lifting 3x a week and doing full body exercises, I'm just questioning the number of sets/reps....any thoughts? 3x5?

My normal routine is MWF and I normally try and do some sort of me/conditioning workout 1-2x week... this is normally a run which is always <2 miles or some sort of crossfit endurance workout...

edit: what i am getting at is, that i know i will not put on size on a 5x5 program with negative intake, but i'm wondering if a different combination of sets/reps would be better for achieving my goal of fat loss while retaining my current amount of lbm....afterwards, I'd probably go back to 5x5 and focus on putting on some more lbm...
Old 09-08-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: What should my lifting routine be?

Not really. Training matters v v little in regards to your growth. Well along the spectrum of possible alternatives.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:48 PM

Yeah just stick with your 5x5 and get your diet fine tuned.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:23 PM

If your trying to train for relative strength have you thought about throwing in some lower rep schemes (1-3 reps with 90-100% load)?
I've had alot of success alternating 5x5 and 8x2 as well as testing my 1x max every two weeks.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your trying to train for relative strength have you thought about throwing in some lower rep schemes (1-3 reps with 90-100% load)?
I've had alot of success alternating 5x5 and 8x2 as well as testing my 1x max every two weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, this is what I was wondering about. If maybe instead of a 5x5 maybe 8x3 would be better. I haven't tried it yet... difficult enough getting to the gym
Old 09-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Like everyone has said...your routine is not all that important.

Your results are going to come from your diet. As long as you have a solid routine and you are giving enough intensity then don't worry about the rep schemes.

If you are just bored of 5x5 then try 8x3 or 3x8, especially if its going to give you motivation to get to the gym.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Here is a good article. Hes got articles at T-mag and dragondoor.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/334/

"If you want to hold muscle you will need to maintain the volume and intensity you used to build it. You may need to add sets and drop reps, and extend rest periods. 5x5 done crisply after 6-8 meals in a day may need to be 3x8 sets dragged out a bit with longer rest periods in the cutting cycle of only 5 meals. "
Old 09-10-2007, 01:25 AM

more cardio

-Mike