Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 08:13 PM

Default LA OOTer Foodies, I need your help!!!

The Sucker here, checking in:

I am searching for the following two restaurants in the Los Angeles area:

1. Down-home Greek food. I'm talking straight-up family-style, really good stuff. DO NOT send me to some trendy place - this should be great stuff cooked the way my Greek Grandmother would have done it, had I ever had a Greek Grandmother. Undertand? Paper plates are OK, and may actually be a plus.

2. The best Pastrami sandwich in LA. This should be self-explanatory, but with some of you guys I never know. I'm talking a Pastrami sandwich the way my Jewish Grandfather from the Bronx would make it, and I did have one of those. Understand?

It's absolutely critical that you guys help me out on this one and not disappoint. If you have a few places, let me know, but it would be helpful if the places were in or near the north end of town. I know I can always count on you guys to do this, and the NYC contingent did not disappoint the last time I went with this plan. Also note that I do not need to know fancy-schmancy restaurants, because I already go to as many of those as I need up here in the Bay Area. Thanks in advance.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2006, 08:15 PM

Default Re: LA OOTer Foodies, I need your help!!!

[ QUOTE ]
The best Pastrami sandwich in LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Langer's Deli at 7th and Alvarado next to MacArthur park. No other answer is acceptable. I don't know about greek food.

BTW, they're only open until 4PM (because the area is sketchy enough that nobody would want to be there at night) and not at all on Sundays.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:20 PM

LFS,

That is excellent advice and I will take it into consideration, but these places should be open for dinnertime. Thanks for your help: I know I can count on you!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LFS,

That is excellent advice and I will take it into consideration, but these places should be open for dinnertime. Thanks for your help: I know I can count on you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, but just be aware that as you're eating your pastrami sandwich for dinner, it's not the best in LA. IMO, the second best pastrami sandwich in LA is from Brent's Deli in Northridge, which is way the [censored] up in the Valley. I just checked their website and they're open until 9PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best Pastrami sandwich in LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Langer's Deli at 7th and Alvarado next to MacArthur park. No other answer is acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. I also like Brent's in Northridge, which often gets recognized in "best Pastrami sandwich" discussions, but Langer's is much better IMO.

Greek - Papa Cristo's in Downtown LA is the standard reply for this, sounds perfect actually based on your OP. Very good for large parties, very family friendly.

If you haven't already check Chowhound - the new interface makes it tons easier for searching the archives. Here's a good Chowhound Thread with Papa Cristo's Recs If You Eat There

-Al

Edit - oh pastrami dinner? Yeah - you'll have to go to Brent's. If someone suggests Canter's they are just wrong. It's decent, but not nearly as good as Brent's.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:01 PM

Langer's will definately happen in the future, but it looks like Brent's is the way to go. Do you or any others have other greek reccomendations? They're closed on Mondays, which is too bad for this one time. Again, I'll go there in the future, but need another option.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping this thread doesn't get buried below the banging chicks from myspace again.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:07 PM

Don't eat a lot of Greek food, but have never had a problem bringing people to Le Petit Greek.

I have never tried Langer's or Brent's, but I do like Johnnie's Pastrami on Sepulveda in Palms(although mikel vehemently disagrees w/ me). Their chili cheese fries are good.

DN
Old 08-17-2006, 07:13 PM

Thanks Deeznuts!

Chili fries are a key bonus for this outing.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:27 PM

Sucker,

I'll second Le Petit Greek, it is very good, but be aware it is somewhat upscale (e.g., entrees are $20+) so may not be the "down home" place you're looking for. Nice atmosphere though, and there are tables on the street if you want to sit outside. If you're there early enough (before 7), there are a bunch of boutiques and shops on the same street that can be fun to check out if you're there with a wife/gf. If you're going later it's worth calling ahead to avoid a 10-20 minute wait.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:24 PM

JA,

Please report back on how you like both places(especially Johnnie's as I still haven't gotten over the scathingly bad review mike l. gave it after I recommended it to him).

DN