Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games

Old 08-05-2006, 11:47 PM

Default Questions for anyone with an older version of Hasbro\'s game of Life

We own a 1970's version of the game Life and there is one space that is scratched and now illegilbe. It is right after you pick a career and it starts with "Discover Uranium. Collect ..." Can someone who has this game tell me how much you collect on this square?

Also, there is a square that says your house was hit with a tornado and you pay if you aren't insured. But there is no tornado insurance. Does fire insurance cover this? Life insurance? Or do you just always pay?

Btw, tonight I played this game against my dad and brother and was betting the wheel at every opportunity at the end of the game because I clearly was too poor to win and somehow didn't hit a single time and ended up completely bankrupt. Then I got the wheel right at the end to become a Millionaire Tycoon and win! It was pretty sweet.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Questions for anyone with an older version of Hasbro\'s game of Lif

I remember when my brother and I were really little, we used to play this game a couple times through. On the second go-round, you just get another wife; no big deal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Eventually, you fill-up the first car, so you can either have your first wife drive the second car, or your oldest kid. They'll be old enough to drive by that point. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As to the uranium question, my google search found:

[ QUOTE ]
I remember the joy of finding uranium deposits right after college graduation. The extra $100,000 came in handy on a $15,000 lawyer's salary.

[/ QUOTE ]
-Sam
Old 08-06-2006, 01:08 AM

Thanks! I trying searching for it quickly between games and somehow missed the obvious queries leading to that page (since I was looking for "discovered uranium" and not just uranium). I also wasted time trying to do an image search for a picture of the board large enough to read the text.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Questions for anyone with an older version of Hasbro\'s game of Life

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there is a square that says your house was hit with a tornado and you pay if you aren't insured. But there is no tornado insurance. Does fire insurance cover this? Life insurance? Or do you just always pay?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Im not mistaken, they are referring to "homeowners" or "home" insurance. That would pay for the expenses.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Im not mistaken, they are referring to "homeowners" or "home" insurance. That would pay for the expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]
We have the 1970's/ 80's version. The only kinds of insurance are Fire, Life and Auto:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of...ance_and_Stock

From that article, homeowners insurance was apparently added in the 1992 version.

EDIT: By the way, for anyone who is familiar with the older version: Is the right strategy to always buy all of the insurance? I have always assumed that it is.