Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 06-29-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Re: 55 in BB

To my opinion this is not a raise, this is a call. When you are on the button I agree with the raise.

And I don't understand the logic 11 to 1 for a 8 to 1 shot. It's never correct to raise negative EV to have positive EV when the next card comes.

Would all of you raise this hand in the BB? I am very curious because I would say this is just a call and raise for your table image.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 AM

One problem with this raise is that you are giving flush draws the correct odds to continue till the end..
Old 06-29-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One problem with this raise is that you are giving flush draws the correct odds to continue till the end..

[/ QUOTE ]

they have it anyway. you might be concerned about pricing in a gutshot or other draw, but flush draws will be there regardless.

you don't need to collect from everyone when you hit to make it better than 5:1. it's likely that you're getting multiple small and big bets from whoever is in.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a couple of problems with this raise that haven't been mentioned yet.

Firstly is what happens when you don't flop a set, but like the flop reasonably well. This would consist of flops like 742r and 882r. I don't know how often this sort of flop comes up, but I suspect you'll get them about as often as you flop a set. And it's ENORMOUSLY important when you have the best hand on this board that you don't encourage people to draw to overcards.

The second problem is that you may somewhat deaden your action if you flop a set, because opponents will have to fear that you have a big overpair. For example, say that the board is J85. You lead out, and an opponent with AJ raises. Now you 3-bet. A good opponent should just shut down and get to showdown at that point, because a big overpair (or JJ) is a huge part of your range. On the other hand, without the preflop raise, TPTK would probably be inclined to get another raise or two in along the way.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1/7.5 x 5 = 2/3. So we have equity of 2/3 of a SB on a raise of 1SB. So we are giving up 1/3rd of a SB by raising. That's how I see it anyhow....

[/ QUOTE ]

And you won't win the showdown everytime you flop a set.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 PM

u raise 55 in the BB? y? U will miss this flop very very often. U check and see a free flop and hope to hit a set.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1/7.5 x 5 = 2/3. So we have equity of 2/3 of a SB on a raise of 1SB. So we are giving up 1/3rd of a SB by raising. That's how I see it anyhow....

[/ QUOTE ]

And you won't win the showdown everytime you flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's offset by the times you'll win unimproved or with some odd one-card straight.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:14 PM

I agree with you Nate tha' Great. So the conclusion should be that this is not a raise?