Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

Many years ago playing 7 card stud in Vegas, a player complained bitterly about my play saying "He cheats, he only plays good cards and folds bad cards"

Of course I stuck around well into the morning when I folded once again and he turns irate and folds wired aces face up simply because I wasn't in the hand. The morning crowd who weren't around for the earlier exchange all had mouths gapping in astonished confusion.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:22 PM

Two more stud stories, sorry. These were all pre poker boom so better ignorance floating around.

I raise with split jacks and a super tight older lady reraises with a queen in the door. I fold showing the jacks and she shows the queens. A man at the table angrily said, how can you fold, you have to play for the bad beat jackpot!

Not really a strategy story but a kid at the table has his hands covering his up cards. An old lady involved in the pot says, "I cant see your cards" to which he replies, "Why the hell do you want to see my cards"
Old 11-19-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"What could I do? I was pot committed!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I hear that too. Man, I love TV poker. Has made some great poker players! (to play against)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLz - I heard this from a girl the other day...

"I had to call down, I was pot committed"

In a LIMIT game. (and she had a full rack in front of her) LOLZ!!!!

AB
Old 11-19-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOLz - I heard this from a girl the other day...

"I had to call down, I was pot committed"

In a LIMIT game. (and she had a full rack in front of her) LOLZ!!!!

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, I don't think you understand pot commitment in a LIMIT game. She may well have been pot committed. *Clue* stack size isn't the issue in limit.

LOLOLOLZ
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 AM

I called (10bb in NLH) cause i had 2 shots at flopping quads!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Great thread. I've got one where I'm not sure who's play was worse.

£1/£2 NL A few people limp to crazy drunken fish. CDF pushes for ~£200 and flips over 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] saying "I hate low pockets just get out of my way." fold fold fold to one of the limper who calls!

Limper turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] doesn't improve and CDF takes down ~£400 pot. Limper when asked why he called relpies "well he's just been playing so badly all night it's annoying me so I wanted to try and bust him."

I sit back, smile and thank god for donks.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:05 AM

I once had a guy crack my flopped straight with a rivered flush. Afterwards, he told me that he knew he would make it because "a flush is the most common hand in hold'em".
Old 11-19-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

£1/£2 NL A few people limp to crazy drunken fish. CDF pushes for ~£200 and flips over 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] saying "I hate low pockets just get out of my way." fold fold fold to one of the limper who calls!

Limper turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] doesn't improve and CDF takes down ~£400 pot. Limper when asked why he called relpies "well he's just been playing so badly all night it's annoying me so I wanted to try and bust him."

[/ QUOTE ]

uh. assuming the pot is 207 and he has to call 198 more, he needs 48.88% equity and he has 48.5% equity. The worst strategy you've EVER heard is assigning .38% equity value to spite? Now if he called with A2 or 33 or something, OK, but wow. Plus, you have to know that even if you lose, the CDF will probably spew off the money again anyway.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
button flips up TJ for the immortal nuts. When asked why she didn't raise, she states "He wouldn't call."

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better, last action smooth call with the nuts and say,
"I was afraid of getting check raised".

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't even make sense.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh. assuming the pot is 207 and he has to call 198 more, he needs 48.88% equity and he has 48.5% equity. The worst strategy you've EVER heard is assigning .38% equity value to spite? Now if he called with A2 or 33 or something, OK, but wow. Plus, you have to know that even if you lose, the CDF will probably spew off the money again anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's trying to say it's bad strategy to want to bust someone who plays bad? I mean, I've seen people online congratulate themselves on busting a total idiot and act like they were glad that someone that bad wasn't messing up their serious game anymore. Could be wrong though.