Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Please post this hand in MSL forum and see the responses of limit players. I think he played it just fine. I also think that you should STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Lolz at NL donks trying to analyze limit play. Hero's play is fine, but I probably would have just bet the flop. C/r is ok if you think a bet will come from very close to your left. I probably don't raise it offsuit (easy raise suited) either, but given all the donks limping with crap that would have been ok too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm more a limit player than NL. If you're going to be sanctimonius, you might learn your left from your right. You want to c/r a bet from your RIGHT, not your LEFT. Given that the bet came from your left, it would be much better to call, then lead the turn and hope he raises to clear the field, or if you get a great card, then c/r and trap the field for 2 big bets instead of 2 little ones. By c/r the flop, you are announcing you have a good hand, while simultaneously bloating the pot and providing great odds to the 27 callers. I don't think the play is lollerskates, though raising the SB with KQo against 6 limpers is pretty bad, just saying it's not really that good, imo afaik gfy.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Please post this hand in MSL forum and see the responses of limit players. I think he played it just fine. I also think that you should STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Lolz at NL donks trying to analyze limit play. Hero's play is fine, but I probably would have just bet the flop. C/r is ok if you think a bet will come from very close to your left. I probably don't raise it offsuit (easy raise suited) either, but given all the donks limping with crap that would have been ok too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm more a limit player than NL. If you're going to be sanctimonius, you might learn your left from your right. You want to c/r a bet from your RIGHT, not your LEFT. Given that the bet came from your left, it would be much better to call, then lead the turn and hope he raises to clear the field, or if you get a great card, then c/r and trap the field for 2 big bets instead of 2 little ones. By c/r the flop, you are announcing you have a good hand, while simultaneously bloating the pot and providing great odds to the 27 callers. I don't think the play is lollerskates, though raising the SB with KQo against 6 limpers is pretty bad, just saying it's not really that good, imo afaik gfy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wouldn't be better to call because you have a huge equity advantage and it doesn't matter that you're making the pot bigger because it was already big enough to not change anyone's effective odds and it doesn't matter because as they didnt' know that anyway and most of them are going to fold on the turn cause they're peeling so light so you can't be that much of a limit player if you're trying to shut out the chasers - why would someone who calls himself a limit player try to stop people from making mistakes in a big pot when he holds such a big advantage I don't get it why, God, why?

I don't mean to flame but maybe if you consider yourself more of a limit player you should actually spend some time in the limit strat forums (cause I see you really don't) as this hand you're talking about is ridiculously standard.

And I absolutely meant the left! Value, value, value.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to flame but maybe if you consider yourself more of a limit player you should actually spend some time in the limit strat forums (cause I see you really don't) as this hand you're talking about is ridiculously standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

For one, posting and reading don't always go hand in hand. Second, I'd love to know how you figure that in the worst position on the table, holding KQo on a KT4 flop against 6 opponents, that you hold a 'huge' equity advantage. I gave 6 opponents the range of "any suited, any pair, any broadway" and you have 27% equity. I think that's wider than what is calling the flop.

If you aren't pushing anyone out on flop, why not get 2 big bets from each on the turn if you want value?

pole time
Old 11-04-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For one, posting and reading don't always go hand in hand. Second, I'd love to know how you figure that in the worst position on the table, holding KQo on a KT4 flop against 6 opponents, that you hold a 'huge' equity advantage. I gave 6 opponents the range of "any suited, any pair, any broadway" and you have 27% equity. I think that's wider than what is calling the flop.

If you aren't pushing anyone out on flop, why not get 2 big bets from each on the turn if you want value?

pole time

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I explained this. Because those callers are likely to be calling light given the board texture and I want the bets now, while I know I can get them instead of *hoping* that two or all three of them don't drop on the turn. You're being incredibly optimistic to think you're going to checkraise more than two total people on the turn.

The whole point is you should take the value when you know you should get it and not plan to get it when you have very little control over whether or not you can get their money in. On the flop you know, on the turn you're hoping.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:42 PM

i also prefer leading the flop, as you do. i guess our disagreement is what happens if you do check.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 AM

There was a big pot between this woman and an idiot. The board read 33xAx, and the woman checked to the idiot, who had been real aggressive on previous streets. He is a super spewy player. This time though, he checks behind. The woman turns over A3 for a full house and says "Damn, I thought you would bet there for sure." The idiot says "That is probably the worst play I have ever seen! There is no way I bet there without the nuts! You should never try to slowplay on the river, because no one ever bets without the nuts! If I would have bet there, you would have had to fold."

This guy proceeded to tell everyone he beats 5/10 NL online.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:05 AM

1/2 NLHE live somewhere in LV. Standard loose table. Someone opens for $8, and another guy makes it $25. Folds back to original raiser who shoves for what was something like $200 (can't quite remember but it was plenty). The $25 guy folds AQ face up.

Some old guy pipes up with "Why bother reraising if you can't call an all-in?!?!?". He was genuinely angry and lectured us all for a good few minutes about how you should just call raises preflop so you can't be reraised off a hand. Brilliant.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1/2 NLHE live somewhere in LV. Standard loose table. Someone opens for $8, and another guy makes it $25. Folds back to original raiser who shoves for what was something like $200 (can't quite remember but it was plenty). The $25 guy folds AQ face up.

Some old guy pipes up with "Why bother reraising if you can't call an all-in?!?!?". He was genuinely angry and lectured us all for a good few minutes about how you should just call raises preflop so you can't be reraised off a hand. Brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how in tournaments he's pretty much absolutely correct.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the skilled players were incredulous as to how he couldn't bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]The "skilled players" are nearly as retarded as he is. Make an Ivey "she put him on pocket kings" expression and move on with the hand, stop teaching fish.

[ QUOTE ]
You know i've gotten into arguments on more than one occasion with good players about this.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
When I try to explain why you have 15 outs, sometimes it's like I'm trying to explain quantum physics.

[/ QUOTE ]that is not smart ducy?

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who want to scream "Don't teach the fish," I submit that they can't be taught poker. That's why they're fish. Duh.

[/ QUOTE ]No, they can be. At the site I play quite a few fish have gotten a lot "better" (as in gone from being 70/5 to 40/15) as some retarded regulars keep table coaching them.

anyway didn't read it all but STOP TABLE COACHING THE FISH. I understand some of you live donks are not confident in your poker skills so you have to teach the worse players to feel smart yourselves and [censored] but just stop
Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 AM

10/20 live limit. A crazy regular cold calls a capped pot preflop, flop is KT4, capped again, turn is a 8, capped again, river is a 2 (rainbow) and it's capped again. Crazy regular turns over K7o for a pair of kings, other guy turns over AKs for the pot.

Everybody asks how crazy regular can get so crazy with only K7 and then he lectures everybody for a good 10 minutes on how you should never fold a King in limit, due to high card value.