Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Overpairs vs. Flop Aggression (Discussion)

As I have been going over my NL hands my glaring leak in my game seems to be overplaying high pocketpairs against flop aggression. This goes both ways though as most of my big wins are from high pocket pairs that get pushed AI. It makes sense that if you cut down the amount you stack off with AA, KK etc. your win rate should jump significantly.

Anyway, there are some hypothetical situations I wanted to throw out there to see what people thought (I'm at work so no specific HH available). I know reads play an integral role in calling/folding but of the following situations how often would you raise/call/fold?

6-max - .10/.25NL $25 effective stacks for all examples.

1. Dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button, UTG+1 limps, you raise to $1.25, folds around UTG+1 calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG+1 bets $2.5, Hero raises to $10, UTG+1 pushes AI for $21.25, Hero...?

2. Hero A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] OTB, UTG+1 limps, folds to Hero, Hero raises to $1.25, folds to UTG+1 who calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Action: UTG+1 bets $2.50, Hero raises to $10, UTG+1 pushes AI for $21.50, Hero...?

3. Hero dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG, hero raises to $1, folds to button who calls, blinds fold.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $2.25, Button raises to $9.75, Hero...?

4. Hero dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG, hero raises to $1, folds to button who calls, blinds fold.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Action: Hero bets $2.25, Button raises to $9.75, Hero...?

I'm interested on the outlooks on what to do with connected boards, do we safe play and just call? I feel that if we just call we have a difficult decision to make on the turn and river since it's a $20+ pot and we have ~$15 back since it looks like we'll be getting it in. I have been pushing a lot saying "he must be on a draw" and getting smacked by sets, two pair etc. (I know getting it in against the draws is good and you come out ahead most of the time.) If anyone wants to add their own senario feel free, but I'm interested to see your thoughts.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Overpairs vs. Flop Aggression (Discussion)

Hand 1: Well you can't fold to his 3bet...odds are too good. However, I would have just called his little donk bet on the flop. Only real draw is JT so I'll just call and let him keep firing at me with. It keeps his range wider allowing him to continue to put money in with big hands, medium hands, and no hands.

Hand 2: Flop raise is good here....board is too drawy. Call his shove.

Hand 3: All hands are obviously opponent dependent but this one is really really opponent dependent IMO. I could see 1.) folding (usually against some TAG or nit who likely calls with low pairs, suited connectors and now likely has a set), 2.) call and CRAI on turn (against some TAG's who are more apt to make plays with missed midpairs or suited connectors here, or maybe AQ; more likely vs. kinda LAGGY players who are mor elikely to do those things), 3.) shove (against some bad players, I probably do this the least of the options.)

Hand 4: Shove. Board is drawy, villian could have AK, KQ, etc.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM

This is a big thing with me as well. Seems like I find myself in these spots. So if the board is not drawy we should be more inclined to fold becuase he more than likely has 2 pair or a set?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a big thing with me as well. Seems like I find myself in these spots. So if the board is not drawy we should be more inclined to fold becuase he more than likely has 2 pair or a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Opponent dependent...and I don't really fold AA/KK much on the flop. But yes you should be more likely to fold.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Lego makes some really good points here. Hand 1 is really player dependent, because many times I see people doing this with strong top pair hands, so then I would almost definitely shove for value. If I am raising his donk tho then I am snap calling a shove. Hand 2 I also raise, and again snap call his all in, wayyyy too many draws to cold call or fold. My default against an unknown for hand 3 is to crai on the turn. Hand 4 is the same as hand 2 for all intents and purposes, minus the KJ combos now.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Im such a fish. without specific reads to indicate otherwise, i shove every one of these. Unless i have obseved that villian is a setminer, i pay off the two pair and expect value from top top all day. I am such a fish [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]