Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 03:20 AM

Default AK NL 50

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($56.05)
Button ($50)
SB ($60.55)
BB ($59.60)
Hero ($60.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $10</font>, Hero??

Im going through this hand that happened about 2 days ago, dont remember knowing villain.
What I dislike here is that if I raise, Im absolutely commited to calling a shove that would probably be a set. If I flat call, and get bet into on the turn, it is gonna be too tough, and there are tons of scarecards there that could hit.
Thoughts please.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: AK NL 50

it's pretty hard to look at a hand like this in a vaccum. board is not drawy, so try to put your opponent on a hand...its either a set, bluff, or KQ.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 AM

You are right that if you call this raise, you will have a hard time laying this down, since almost 30% of your effective stack have gone into the pot. You'll have a $24 pot and effectively $28 left to bet on the turn. There isn't much room for a resteal, a block or a cheap showdown. So you have to decide now, if you want to go to the felt with your TPTK hand. If you think that villain is pretty aggressive in position and will use his position a lot to steal from you, you might continue. But your hand is basically a bluff at that point if you think villain is too tight or solid that he won't get it all-in or at least almost all-in with a worse hand than TPTK. So with these stack sizes and that unknown villain on a ragged board like this oop, you certainly have showdown value but you don't want to grow a big pot here. I recommend checking. If he bets around the pot size or less, you can take one card off and decide on the turn, if you want to play a big pot.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 AM

for completeness' (PNL-Book) sake: your problem actually is preflop, because your (standard) raise sets up the stack sizes in a way that is very uncomfortable to play with TPTK oop. With effectively 100BB stacks, you'll have exactly 3 pot sized bets remaining. And that is just too much if you get it in with TPTK unless you have an extraordinarily bad opponent. The solution is to either play a shorter stack (which will get you flamed here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), raise more (which might narrow your opponent's range too much, i.e. he only plays top hands), raise less (think minraise which will get you flamed even more but will allow you to play a smaller pot where you can go further into the hand without being tied to it if your minraise will allow you to get it heads up) or be more creative in different ways (limp reraising, e.g. but you can do that only if your opponent's range is still wide enough so that you can expect him to call with worse hands).
This is probably very confusing to you. Never mind. Summary: your stack size sucks for playing TPTK oop against an aggressive opponent. So don't give him the opportunity to push you off the hand.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:57 AM

Although I agree with Genz in theory, at 50NL i'm shoving here, simply because you will get called by oesd's and worse kings enough to make it a profitable play. Also, its a nice for everyone at the table to see that you have balls.