Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 12-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Table selection/stack size and SPR related question

When you have built up a decent stack i.e. >3BI. It's often easier to be the bully (it seems that way for me partly due to confidence). If the table gets a bit dry in terms of action, or the VPIP drops down below say 20, do you change tables? Even though you have the big stack aggressor advantage?

Sometimes I find it difficult to discipline myself in this position not to call too often as it's a small portion of my stack.

Which leads nicely on to SPR. Would also be interested in seeing some thoughts (or threads) on SPR as it's not a concept I'm too familiar with. i.e. as your stack grows in size, how does this affect your decision to call.

I've read some interesting comments by Jeff on particular hands relating to SPR but wonder if there are any more general threads around?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Table selection/stack size and SPR related question

[ QUOTE ]
i.e. as your stack grows in size, how does this affect your decision to call.

[/ QUOTE ]It doesn't matter if your stack grows. SPR deals with the stack that has the least in it to start the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
If the table gets a bit dry in terms of action, or the VPIP drops down below say 20, do you change tables?

[/ QUOTE ] I change tables a ton so I rarely get 3 stacks on a table but my guess is the reason you're able to bully the table after you get up that high is because you busted the fish and are left with regs you can run over which aren't really worth it unless you like winning 1.5-6bbs at a time.

edit: do a search in the full ring forum and put "-re: +SPR" w/o the quotes, put dates to search 8 months, and you'll get a few threads dealing with it. There's also a few threads in the micro section on it.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:05 PM

There's no such thing as the "big stack aggressor advantage".

Ed Miller wrote an article on this called The Biggest No-Limit Hold 'Em Myth.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no such thing as the "big stack aggressor advantage".

Ed Miller wrote an article on this called The Biggest No-Limit Hold 'Em Myth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice that he says "inherent mathematical advantage." There is almost certainly an advantage at least up through midstakes. Most of it is psychological. Some of the fish will take shots at you while others will shy away. I got labeled a "poker pro" last night at the tables when some guy saw me sitting on 4.5 BIs on one table and 5 on another. This guy was playing every pot I was in on both tables because he "wanted to bust a pro" as he said in chat. This would not have happened had I been sitting on 2 BIs or less.

Furthermore, you can increase the variance of the game if you so chose by playing hands a lot faster and bluffing more (you can do this if you have more BIs overall for a level than others too). If you are evenly matched and you increase the variance and have more money then you will get it all faster.

There definitely are advantages to playing a big stack, but not the "inherent" ones that are built into the game which is what Ed is referring to.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM

CDL - that's my thought exactly. I doubt it happens much above NL25 but I had donks going all-in preflop with 85o, they only have 0.5BI but it's all good!