Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Stars 10NL midpair facing huge river overbet

Villain is 77/19/4, goes to showdown 19%, winning 100% over just 30 hands.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($5.57)
Hero ($10.67)
UTG ($12.20)
MP ($6.16)
CO ($6.93)
Button ($9.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.22) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $0.1</font>, Hero calls $0.10.

I call thinking he's missed the flop and is making a weak bet. This was the whole reason I called isn't it? If not to exploit his tendencies, then why am I playing?

Turn: ($0.42) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.25</font>, CO calls $0.25.

He thinks for about 6-7 seconds before calling.

River: ($0.92) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $2</font>, Hero thinks he's playing on a different table than villain?????

Final Pot: $0.92
What the faygo is the river bet?

These bets confuse me a lot.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Stars 10NL midpair facing huge river overbet

I have definitely found that at lower limits loose villians overbet rivers when they are good and want to win more than the pot that has been built justifies.

At least that has been my experience when making semi hero calls to overbets on the river.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 PM

You can only beat a pure bluff. Standard fold. Backdoor spades got there. That might add up, weak betting the flop, pause and call turn, overbet river. Or a Ten. I think this is a pretty strong play. What else is he getting to the river with? Most sevens have you beat, I don't think this is ever a six or three. It's either nothing or a big made hand.

Uh, leading turn is meh... especially for that amount. You should bet like .35 or check. I don't see much reason to continue though and would c/f.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM

$1 is enough of a bet to scare you with the tens and spades out there.

$2 is overkill and for value.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can only beat a pure bluff. Standard fold. Backdoor spades got there. That might add up, weak betting the flop, pause and call turn, overbet river. Or a Ten. I think this is a pretty strong play. What else is he getting to the river with? Most sevens have you beat, I don't think this is ever a six or three. It's either nothing or a big made hand.

Uh, leading turn is meh... especially for that amount. You should bet like .35 or check. I don't see much reason to continue though and would c/f.

[/ QUOTE ]

I led out on the turn because I read him for weakness. If he calls the .25, I doubt the .35 makes him fold. I could've gone .3 I guess, I think .35 doesn't accomplish enough for the additional money.

It's not that I'm contemplating calling or raising this river so much. I just am really confused by opponents all of a sudden coming out with a big overbet after making min-bets or check-calling.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 PM

I like overbetting pot on river myself especially with the nuts. So many people assume overbet == bluff that you get paid off by a wide range. Also picked up from PNLHE that you can maximise by getting a 2 pot river bet called 40% of the time than say a 1/2 pot river bet 80% of the time. No great analysis but just some reasons why someone might go for these overbets.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I led out on the turn because I read him for weakness. If he calls the .25, I doubt the .35 makes him fold. I could've gone .3 I guess, I think .35 doesn't accomplish enough for the additional money.

[/ QUOTE ]Raise the flop and lead turn, better line. You are right it doesn't make a difference but if you had a Ten or better I assume betting more than .25 for value so don't change bet sizing based on making moves, etc.